Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine wants to inherit the last backup I made on the same computer

I didn't do a backup for a while ( 6 months). When starting time machine I get a box asking if I want to inherit the backup history from another computer. The problem is that backup wasn't made on another computer….earlier versions were but not the last one….

Do I need to worry about this? Is something wrong with my computer or the last backup or should I go ahead and inherit the backup?

I'm currently running 10.8.5 on a macbook pro retina early 2013 model and want to update os soon...

MacBook

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 7:32 AM

8 replies

Nov 9, 2017 8:06 AM in response to quantonamera

The dialog is asking if you want to inherit them, meaning do you want that Mac to use those earlier backups as its own. If you choose to do that, they will no longer be available to the Mac that created them.

I see this answer a lot, but it's a bit vague. Does "no longer... available to the Mac that created them" mean that the Mac that created the backup can no longer READ the files? Or only that it cannot write? I suspect the latter - but there's no telling with Time Machine.

Personally, I've found Time Machine to be untrustworthy. I had a recent crash but thought I was okay because I'd done nightly backups. When I restored the system to another machine, I found files missing - the most critical being one of my keychain files. Imagine suddenly no longer having over 50 passwords to various accounts! I was able to recover the missing keychain by scrubbing the crashed disk - but am a bit stunned that Time Machine failed me in such a non-obvious manner. Other files are missing too - and no, they were not excluded by the Time Machine options dialog.

Given the intended function, such failure is inexplicable. It means Time Machine missed that file dozens - if not hundreds - of times.

Dec 1, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Duane

which pull down menu?

the only option/message dialog box that opens is about wheather or not to inherit….there are no other click options there except for help...

in time machine options there is no tab i can find to select a dif computer...

the backup disk has no place to select a different computer…the last file is my last backup with current computer...

im perplexed..

Dec 2, 2015 6:50 PM in response to quantonamera

….earlier versions were but not the last one

The dialog is asking if you want to inherit them, meaning do you want that Mac to use those earlier backups as its own. If you choose to do that, they will no longer be available to the Mac that created them. The choice is yours to make.

Alternately, if you hold an option key while selecting the TM icon, the option to Browse Other Backup Disks will appear.

Time machine wants to inherit the last backup I made on the same computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.