Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Finder' colllapse?

Lion - Macbook, 120G HDD

I'm not completely sure why it is happening, but it looks like 'Finder' is collapsing.

What happens is that all the icons on my desktop disappear then 'reload' back in place. It seems to happen at random intervals, with no particularly, discernible pattern.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5), USB/Desktop/Finder

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 7:09 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2015 8:00 AM in response to hmngee

First, go to the utilities folder/ disk utilities and repair permissions. Second, go to finder in the dock and while holding down the option key click on the finder and select relaunch. Third, shut down Macbook and restart holding down Command/Option/P/R keys and power button for three chime and restart. This should fix it.

Dec 4, 2015 10:07 AM in response to my ginger

Sorry to be a pain in the buttress;

I have tried your suggestions as in your reply, to no avail. It is still happening that the icons on the desktop (randomly) disappear and reload.

I am assuming, of course, that it is caused by 'Finder' collapsing and reloading at random intervals.

(BTW, what does Cmd/Opt/P/R (three times) 'do' on a restart?)

Have you any further suggestions (polite ones please {lol}) to help a 'numpty' [with his first (98th-hand) Macbook - indeed anything Apple]?

Dec 4, 2015 10:07 AM in response to hmngee

Further to my last post, I thought I'd do a check on what exactly Disk Utility was doing.

I have Cut/Paste the last couple of lines from the 'History Log' [as the very last one shows that it will not be repaired] (and all the others have been).

Is this significant? Does it help resolve the issue in some way?

----------------------------------------------------

Before 'Repair Disk Permissions' (i.e., 'Verify DiskPermissions') -

Permissions differ on “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/SmartPlaylistEditor.nib ”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/StoreAuthDialog.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UniversalAccess.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

==============================

After 'Repair Disk Permissions' -

Permissions differ on “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/StoreAuthDialog.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/StoreAuthDialog.nib”

Permissions differ on “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UniversalAccess.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UniversalAccess.nib”

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Dec 4, 2015 10:07 AM in response to my ginger

Thank you very much for your assistance - especially the last link you provided. It 'appears' to have worked. I have quit Drive and 'Voila' as they say!

Thanks again - I will only open Drive when I actually need it in future; a tad inconvenient, but needs must when the devil drives!!

Once again thanks - Brownie Points to you!!!

'Finder' colllapse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.