Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to El Capitan and Photos

I have a 2010 iMac running OS X 10.8.5. I am using iPhoto ’09 v.8.1.2 for a library with 28,826 photos (67 GB).

I want to upgrade to El Capitan. I bought a copy of Photos for Mac and iOS: The Missing Manual to try to prepare myself.

The author’s first step for migrating from iPhoto to Photos for Mac is to upgrade iPhoto to the latest version. The catch-22 is that 9.6.1 has disappeared from the App Store and the author says that if you haven’t upgraded iPhoto to 9.6.1 before you upgrade to OS X 10.3, iPhoto won’t open at all. My searching of this forum seems to confirm that others have had the experience of not being able to upgrade iPhoto, especially if they have never purchased an iPhoto update in the App Store—which I have not.

So that seems to mean that once I upgrade to El Capitan, I will no longer be able to use iPhoto. I can reconcile myself to that but I still need to know the best way to prepare for the upgrade in order to avoid problems.

On Oct 27, 2015 Old Toad told someone using an even older version of iPhoto than I am, “You don't need to upgrade your iPhoto if all you want to do is migrate to and use the new Photos app in El Capitan.” That is reassuring.

I know the first step is a backup. And I’ve read that iPhoto Trash as well as the Finder’s Trash should be emptied.

Is there anything else I should do?

When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion last February, Old Toad advised me to first rebuild my iPhoto Library. Apple’s built-in tool made a mess and I used iPhoto Library Manager version 3.2.4. Is there any reason I would need to rebuild the library again?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:38 AM

So that seems to mean that once I upgrade to El Capitan, I will no longer be able to use iPhoto. I can reconcile myself to that but I still need to know the best way to prepare for the upgrade in order to avoid problems.

That is right. iPhoto 9.6.1 is the only version compatible with El Capitan.

But you cannot update iPhoto 8.1.2 to this version. It is not a free update but requires a purchase of iPhoto '11, and that is not possible any longer, because Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store.

When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion last February, Old Toad advised me to first rebuild my iPhoto Library. Apple’s built-in tool made a mess and I used iPhoto Library Manager version 3.2.4. Is there any reason I would need to rebuild the library again?

It would be wise to run all repairs - repair permissions, repair library, to ensure the iPhoto library has no issues. It needs to be done before you upgrade the system, because it will be impossible to run iPhoto 9.8.1 after the upgrade, if you should discover issues with the library. But make a backup copy of the library, before you repair it. This way you can easily restore the original library, if the repair should go wrong.

I know the first step is a backup.

Make a full backup -a Time machine backup or a bootable clone. Then you can restore your current system, if you should encounter problems on El Capitan. See: OS X El Capitan: Revert to a previous OS X version

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it is on an external drive, move it to a drive, that is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). Otherwise the Migration to Photos will not work.

Photos does not yet support batch changing like iPhoto did. If you need to batch change titles to the date or the filename do it while you are still using iPhoto.

Finish all book projects or Calendar projects in iPhoto, because the book and Calendar templates have changed and the books might look different in Photos.

How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Medley

That is right. iPhoto 9.6.1 is the only version compatible with El Capitan.

But you cannot update iPhoto 8.1.2 to this version. It is not a free update but requires a purchase of iPhoto '11, and that is not possible any longer, because Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store.

It would be wise to run all repairs - repair permissions, repair library, to ensure the iPhoto library has no issues. It needs to be done before you upgrade the system, because it will be impossible to run iPhoto 9.8.1 after the upgrade, if you should discover issues with the library. But make a backup copy of the library, before you repair it. This way you can easily restore the original library, if the repair should go wrong.

I know the first step is a backup.

Make a full backup -a Time machine backup or a bootable clone. Then you can restore your current system, if you should encounter problems on El Capitan. See: OS X El Capitan: Revert to a previous OS X version

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it is on an external drive, move it to a drive, that is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). Otherwise the Migration to Photos will not work.

Photos does not yet support batch changing like iPhoto did. If you need to batch change titles to the date or the filename do it while you are still using iPhoto.

Finish all book projects or Calendar projects in iPhoto, because the book and Calendar templates have changed and the books might look different in Photos.

How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2015 11:11 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your help.

My iPhoto Library is stored on the hard drive of my iMac and backed up by Time Machine. If I wanted to make an additional copy on an external drive, how would I find out whether it is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled)?

I'm afraid I need more basic step by step instructions regarding running "all repairs." I assume "repair permissions" refers to the application Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions? And that would mean running it with the Hard Drive selected? Or is there a specific utility for iPhoto?

And I have no idea what "repair library" refers to. Is this something in iPhoto?

Thanks for the link about reverting to a previous OS X version. I hope I won't need it but good to have.

Dec 2, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Medley

how would I find out whether it is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled)?

If the library is on your system drive, it is most like ly correctly formatted. But check anyway: select your MacintoshHD in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I (for File > Get Info). The Info panel will show you the file system:

User uploaded file

I'm afraid I need more basic step by step instructions regarding running "all repairs." I assume "repair permissions" refers to the application Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions? And that would mean running it with the Hard Drive selected? Or is there a specific utility for iPhoto?

I meant to run the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools you referred to in your original post. Run all of them but "Rebuilding".

To run the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click "Examine and repair iPhoto Library Permissions" to begin the repair process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

User uploaded file

Repeat this with "Repair the iPhoto Library Database".

Dec 1, 2015 12:16 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the step by step. I need all the help I can get!

So just to be clear, you think that rebuilding is unnecessary, correct?

The only time I used these First Aid Tools was last February when I believe I ran them all at once, and as I said, ended up with a mess and had to use Time Machine to recover my library. This has made me wary. Are the two things you recommend (repairing permissions and repairing the library) less likely to cause me problems than the others did? Sorry to be so insecure. I hate all this fussing with things I don't understand and just want it all to be simple.

Dec 2, 2015 5:28 AM in response to Medley

So just to be clear, you think that rebuilding is unnecessary, correct?

Rebuilding is slightly more risky then repairing. In the release notes for upgrading that I have seen, Apple usually recommends repairing the libraries before an upgrade to a new version, so I would do at least a repair.

This has made me wary. Are the two things you recommend (repairing permissions and repairing the library) less likely to cause me problems than the others did? Sorry to be so insecure. I hate all this fussing with things I don't understand and just want it all to be simple.

All Library First Aid options are a routine maintenance measure to ensure that a library is ship shape before upgrading and usually are safe to use. Repairing permissions or the library is fairly safe. Rebuilding is more intrusive, so Apple recommends to make a backup before rebuilding.

Only, if a library is already badly damaged, trying to rebuild it may damage it even more. So we need a backup before trying that.

Dec 2, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Medley

The following may help you transition to Photos a little easier since Photos does not have Events any more:

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

Albums and smart albums can be sorted by Title, by Date with oldest first and by Date with newest first.

User uploaded file

Dec 20, 2015 11:00 AM in response to léonie

Hi again,

As you will notice I am a little slow to implement changes so I just today got my courage up to try the repairs on my iPhoto Library.

When I hold down the Command and Option keys and open iPhoto, I get a different menu than the one pictured above--which I did make a copy of but cannot seem to figure out how to paste in here. It offers:

Rebuild the photos' small thumbnails

Rebuld all of the photos' thumbnails (this may take a while)

Recover orphaned photos in the iPhoto Library folder

Examine and repair iPhoto Library file permissions

Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup

Reclaim unused disc space from databases

You will notice that it lacks the option to Repair the iPhoto Library Database.

I did repair the permissions and that took about a minute and seems to have had no effect on iPhoto that I can detect--i.e., all the pictures seem to still be there and in place.

What further advice do you have?

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Medley

I am reluctant to do that. Back in February when I was upgrading to Mountain Lion, I tried to use the built-in iPhoto repair options and ended up with half my pictures missing and had to restore the Library from back-up.

At that time Old Toad strongly recommended using iPhoto Library Manager to do the rebuild, which I eventually did do. I realize a lot has changed and the iPhoto Library Manager website has a lot of new stuff on it about Photos for Mac. Is using it still a viable option? Any pitfalls I should know about? Would I probably need a newer version of iPhoto Library Manager to cope with Mountain Lion now?

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. I find dealing with so much that I don't understand to be quite stressful and appreciate the help offered.

Dec 21, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Medley

I am reluctant to do that. Back in February when I was upgrading to Mountain Lion, I tried to use the built-in iPhoto repair options and ended up with half my pictures missing and had to restore the Library from back-up.

That's what backups are for. It's just good practice to make sure you have a current backup copy of the library before running any first aid routines on the library.

Upgrading to El Capitan and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.