Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen show weird shapes and goes blank

My wife new iMac, El Capitan, purchased last week, when woke up from sleep, the displays shows strange squares of color and then goes solid. no hard drives, dock, or anything

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:31 PM

You have 14 days to return it for any reason if purchased from Apple, take advantage of that. You also have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support. Take advantage of these customer service options available to you! If you are not familiar with AppleCare please click http://www.apple.com/support/complimentary/

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Charles Venable

You have 14 days to return it for any reason if purchased from Apple, take advantage of that. You also have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support. Take advantage of these customer service options available to you! If you are not familiar with AppleCare please click http://www.apple.com/support/complimentary/

Dec 1, 2015 11:25 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I am experiencing a similar problem since yesterday afternoon. I was fine using Pages and Mail just before the problem. After opening iMovie, the screen turned "blank & flickering". I turned it off. Turned it back on after a few hours, got an blurry screen showing seem-to-be a message saying that the mouse was not connected on the right hand side of the screen, with the "switcher user" etc. below the mouse message.

I bought it used in the early Spring of 2014. If I remember correctly, it is a 2011 model. It is running the latest El Capitan.

Appreciate any help from the community. I hope I can fix it, don't want to haul it to the store. Thanks much.

Dec 1, 2015 11:47 AM in response to eskaycee

Additional info:

Just attempted to turn on again. I got the usual sound after pressing the "on" button. Then I got the usual "apple" in the middle of the screen with the grey bar underneath it. After moving to about 60% of the bar, it stopped and got a blank screen which stayed on for about a minute and turned off by itself and back on with the Apple etc. Seems to be a big problem ... I'm still hoping not 😟

Dec 1, 2015 12:05 PM in response to eskaycee

eskaycee wrote:

I am experiencing a similar problem since yesterday afternoon. I was fine using Pages and Mail just before the problem. After opening iMovie, the screen turned "blank & flickering". I turned it off. Turned it back on after a few hours, got an blurry screen showing seem-to-be a message saying that the mouse was not connected on the right hand side of the screen, with the "switcher user" etc. below the mouse message.

I bought it used in the early Spring of 2014. If I remember correctly, it is a 2011 model. It is running the latest El Capitan.

Appreciate any help from the community. I hope I can fix it, don't want to haul it to the store. Thanks much.

You should really create your own thread, what you are doing is considered thread jacking and is considered rude which I am sure is not your intent.

While I understand the issue, your situation is different. In your case it sounds like the GPU has failed or is failing and needs to be replaced. Take the machine to an AASP to be professionally diagnosed and repaired. If you don't know of any please click https://locate.apple.com/country to begin locating one.

Good luck.

Dec 1, 2015 12:30 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry. As you can see, I'm only a Level 0 who knows very minimum in the community. I thought the option to choose "I have a similar question" means to put all similar questions together instead of opening up a new question. Thanks for your advice, I won't do that again in the future.

Thanks for your help. I've already booked my appointment to bring my iMac in, but have to wait until Thursday, too long. Thanks again.

screen show weird shapes and goes blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.