Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased songs not downloading into iTunes library

I have an album that I purchased from iTunes. It shows as purchased on iTunes. However, it will not download to my Mac. It does not show in my "Purchased Not in My Library" list, but does show in my list of purchases (both in my account listing and in the iTunes Store). I have tried logging out of iTunes and logging back in, but it did not help.

Any ideas to fix this?

I have recently updated to El Capitan. iTunes also seemed to get messed up on purchases when I also had Apple Music, but I have discontinued Apple Music for that reason.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 7:15 AM

14 replies

Dec 1, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Nealf

So the album is showing in the Purchased section, but only in the 'All' section not under 'Not In My Library' ? The album's tracks aren't listed (without a cloud icon) in the My Music section of your library - if they are, then even if you no longer have the actual music files on your computer iTunes will see them there and assume that you have them somewhere and that there is therefore no need to be able to redownload them.

Dec 1, 2015 11:13 AM in response to King_Penguin

Correct. In my list of purchases, the album is showing in the Purchased section, but only in the 'All' section not under 'Not In My Library' section.

In iTunes, neither the album nor the tracks are listed in My Library. They also cannot be found with a search of My Library. When I go to iTunes music, the album is shown as purchased but there is no ability to download.

Probably not related, but I did deauthorize my older mac and switch my library to a new iMac with Migration Assistant. That is also when I upgraded to El Capitan.

Dec 2, 2015 4:17 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi King Penguin, NealF,

I also cannot download already purchased music. But I differ from Neal in that the music IS in my 'not in my library' list.

I can't pin point when this problem began as some music was purchased a while back, perhaps over a year, and some were purchased via the mac and some via my iphone 5s.

I have up to date software on both, I have followed the apple advice of signing in, going to the 'not on my library' list, where I have 9 albums (or part albums). When I click the cloud with the downward arrow, it attempts it, and whizzes through each song until eventually an error message pops up saying "There was a problem downloading items... you do not have the privilege to make changes" or something like this, the error message stopped popping up after a few times.

I only have one apple ID and I have actually paid for the music!

Is there something wrong with iTunes, the computer, the internet settings? I have this great computer and no idea how to use it.

Please help before I put my foot through it and send apple the bill!

Thanks

Dec 2, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Nealf

Oh, no, my music folder is on a hard drive, not on the mac - very clever of you to realise. It is connected to the mac tho via usb!

I don't know how to find this path you wrote above anyways: Users/username/Music... is it via the 'finder' ?

My music is on the memory device HD-PCFU3/iTunes/iTunes music

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head but please can you tell me how to implement a solution?

Thank you

Dec 3, 2015 12:41 AM in response to WigglyBiggly

The Users/username/Music is found via Finder, if you are using an external drive I'm not sure where downloads are stored whilst they are being downloaded e.g. whether they will go to that folder before being moved to your external drive when they've completed downloading - to go to that folder in Finder do shift-command-g (or from the Go drop-down menu at the top of Finder select 'Go To Folder') and type (or copy-and-paste) '~/music' (without the quote marks ; the '~' is a shortcut for 'Users/Username')

To check and/or change the read/write properties you need to select/highlight the folder and do 'get-info' (command-I) and you should get a popup on which you can change them : OS X El Capitan: Set permissions for items on your Mac

Dec 7, 2015 7:04 AM in response to WigglyBiggly

The users/account/Music directory is likely to exist whether your actual music is stored on the hard-drive or on your external drive, it contains some files that iTunes uses/maintains about your library. The 'previous itunes libraries' folder contains versions of your library form previous versions of iTunes - the .itl files are iTunes library files, effectively a database of the info that you see in iTunes : About iTunes library files - Apple Support.

If you are storing your music on an external drive then you need to look at the folders on that drive and make sure that your Mac account has write access to it (what I'm not sure about is how the downloads work e.g. whether they will be written directly to the external drive, or whether whilst downloading they are stored in the users/account/music folder and when the download has completed they are moved to the external drive).

Dec 7, 2015 7:03 AM in response to Nealf

Thanks for the help.

I discovered that the album that was missing did not get transferred over when I activated the new iMac. I was able to find it on the old computer and manually install it. I still cannot figure out why iTunes did not let me just download it again — it seems like iTunes thought I had the album in iTunes because it got missed in transfer of the iTunes library, although the album was not actually in iTunes.

Purchased songs not downloading into iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.