Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am still using aperture. Can I delete photos?

I haven't liked Photos from the beginning and have continued to use Aperture. I realize it is no longer supported which probably means I am on borrowed time with Aperture.

As these two no longer synch, do I still need to maintain Photos on my machines? I have MB pro (2011) MBA (2014) and Ipad Air (2015) plus a new Iphone.

I am reviewing Lightroom as an option but don't want to end up with multiple copies of 50K photos.

TIA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:10 AM

As these two no longer synch, do I still need to maintain Photos on my machines?

The Photos.app is installed as part of MacOS X. You cannot easily delete it, since it is a component of the system. The Photos.app does not need much storage; it is just 54MB, compared to the 1.02GB of Aperture, so will not gain anything by deleting it.

You can however delete the Photos Library from your Pictures folder, if you are sure, that all your photos and videos have been stored in Aperture as well.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 9:10 AM in response to DebDiver

As these two no longer synch, do I still need to maintain Photos on my machines?

The Photos.app is installed as part of MacOS X. You cannot easily delete it, since it is a component of the system. The Photos.app does not need much storage; it is just 54MB, compared to the 1.02GB of Aperture, so will not gain anything by deleting it.

You can however delete the Photos Library from your Pictures folder, if you are sure, that all your photos and videos have been stored in Aperture as well.

Dec 1, 2015 4:08 PM in response to DebDiver

DebDiver wrote:

I haven't liked Photos from the beginning and have continued to use Aperture. I realize it is no longer supported which probably means I am on borrowed time with Aperture.

I just upgraded one of my machines to 10.11 and Aperture to 3.6. In a test seems to sync fine with existing photo streams (though I have to say I have never used this feature in "real life"). I am running Photos side-by-side with Aperture (no, I didn't hand over my whole Aperture Library to Photos - created a new one) and they seem to play OK together. Photos picked up new images in my photo stream that were posted from Aperture, and vice-versa.

Dec 2, 2015 6:52 PM in response to DebDiver

DebDiver wrote:

Many share the same fears, however having tested Aperture on El Capitan on a USB clone disk until I was sure it worked 100% I would say that means I will use Aperture for as long as the Mac keeps going and probably 1 or 2 years before the next OSX may or may not stop it working. It does not need any support unless there any new bugs found and that is unlikely surely..

I did try Photos at the same time on my Aperture library on the clone - what a Joke!!. All my project structure disappeared, it only took the "versions" so the RAW and original jpg photos were "lost". There is no real editing available apart from brightness and cropping without paying for third party extensions (I think that about sums it up)

Dec 2, 2015 6:55 PM in response to LD150

Peter:

Thanks. To me, the only good thing about Photos is the synchronization between devices. However, as soon as I have imported the photos into my Aperture structure, I delete them from the synced folder.

I did see an app that supposedly does a good job of extracting the Aperture file structure into Lightroom....however, I will hold off on that.

Thanks - glad to know I am not alone with dislike of photos!

Dec 2, 2015 10:28 PM in response to LD150

Peter, photos is a far cry from anprofessional application like Aperture, but your test of photos must have gone wrong.

1. The migrated Aperture library should have been migrated losslessly, with originals and edited versions. You can revert all photos to the original.
  2. photos has many adjustments, more than iPhoto. but you have to reveal the advanced options of the adjustments. What Photos not has are brushed adjustments other than the retouch brush, and the paid extensions do not support them either, so there is not yet any good way to replace Aperture.

I am still using aperture. Can I delete photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.