Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since El Capitan upgrade I can't acces the Recovery, I have a low level pass (a padlock). No startup shorcuts work (Cmd R, Cmd Opt PR, etc)

I have tried everything, reinstall, change memory location

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:21 AM

11 replies

Dec 1, 2015 10:09 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hello; rkaufmann87, and thank you for answering. It's very kind. I will try to explain you the better I can (please excuse my English, the dictionary doesn't work in this text area).

I did saturday an upgrade to El capitan

I need to get rid of the csrutils, so i did a restart while holding Command R to acces the terminal, only to find that it's now impossible.

The I begin googling to find a solution, to forca aa recontruction of the pram, and I find a lot of solutions (change the memory places, wait some minutes with my iMac not plugged, reinstall the system several times).

I tried to acces te Recovery doing (in terminal)

diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS 999 999.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

then

diskutil mount disk0s3

then

sudo bless -mount /Volumes/Recovery\ HD -setboot -nextonly

And I getCould not set boot device property: 0xe00002bc

When I bought this iMac i had some problems that I can't remember, but I found the replies of a Mac adviser and *I believe* he told me to modifie the EFI like this but i'm really not sure

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 907.2 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: EFI 75.0 GB disk0s4

Dec 1, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Luis Speciale

I understand. You have two choices: bring it and some money to Apple, who will certainly want proof of ownership, or obtain the password from whomever configured it. Methods for obtaining the latter lie beyond the scope of this support site.

The EFI password is designed specifically to keep the Mac's information secure from unauthorized use. Apple's concern for its customers' information security is paramount. There are no "backdoors" and the security it provides cannot be bypassed.

A third method that I do not recommend is to pay any number of sketchy third party outfits that allege a means of removing the password. There are several reasons I do not recommend it, among them: I have no personal experience with them, I have no idea if they will be successful, and you will have no recourse if they damage the Mac and render it permanently broken. Apple will certainly refuse service if anyone other than Apple or an authorized Apple repair facility tampers with it.

Dec 2, 2015 1:20 AM in response to John Galt

First of all, I want to thank you all for answering me.

Furthermore, yes I know that maybe the only solution it's to bring it to an Apple Center. But I still thinking that's its a little (I must carefully chose my words) strange. Because it's a security or a feature I didn't ask for and I have now to find a solution for.

I have a proof of ownership for this machine, but I have one another which I don't. I can ever remember where I bought it.

And, I must add, everything worked fine since i made this El Capitan upgrade. I mean by that that this "behavior" didn't exist before, or at least, it was sleeping. What brings me to a simple conclusion: this unwanted (at least by myself") "feature" do installs an unwanted surveillance (with the help of crsutils?), and not only that I didn't ask for, but I need to pay and take of my time to visit a Genious to get rid of it.

Very funny.

Dec 2, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Luis Speciale

Someone with physical access to that Mac deliberately configured the EFI Firmware Password. It is not a consequence of upgrading to El Capitan. It is disabled by default, and must be set using the Firmware Password Utility explained here: Use a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support.

csrutil is a separate feature, and is not related to the firmware password. For that matter unwanted surveillance is not related to either subject. Nothing about either of those features directly conveys that ability.

I understand you have no explanation for how a firmware password came to be configured on that Mac, but perhaps this will help determine who may have configured it, bringing you closer to determining what it is. Other than the options I explained, that's all you can do.

Since El Capitan upgrade I can't acces the Recovery, I have a low level pass (a padlock). No startup shorcuts work (Cmd R, Cmd Opt PR, etc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.