Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing Hard drive files from a bootable disc

I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 on an older iMac. The computer will not fully start up (stalls on the Apple logo). I am able to launch the computer up from the bootable system disc.

Before I wipe the hard drive and re-install the system, is there any way to access the files from the hard drive, and save them to an external drive?

Also, once I re-install the system (10.6.3), can I safely upgrade to El Capitan?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:03 AM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2015 8:09 AM in response to kirkstoupee

kirkstoupee,

Before going to the trouble of re-installing OS X, I would first have the internal HD checked out to see if it is viable. My guess is the HD may be damaged and in need of replacement. If you have not been backing up the HD you may have lost data however you can buy and use one of the following apps:

• Prosoft Data Rescue
  • Alsoft DataWarrior

Each app is $99 and may be able to recover some files depending on the health of the HD.

After you get the system re-installed I STRONGLY recommend using Time Machine to backup the computer.

Good luck.

Accessing Hard drive files from a bootable disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.