Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy a movie and make an edited version

I have created a movie which is 28 minutes long. I want to make a shorter version of the same movie and keep the original. Is it possible just to edit the original project and then save it with a new name, or something like this? Or do I need to just start from scratch again?

I am using iMovie 10.1

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:38 AM

This is easy to do. Duplicate the project in the Projects view, change the name of the duplicate if you want, then open and edit away unwanted material and share. The original will remain as it was.

Geoff.

User uploaded file

6 replies

Dec 3, 2015 1:04 PM in response to GeeD

Really appreciate your time on this Geoff, but I'm still struggling. I tested your suggestion by simply creating a new movie project (albeit with nothing in it) and then duplicating that by the method you suggested and that worked fine as below, but I can't get any response when I try either of your suggest methods with the original completed project (entitled "Our North American Trip -full length 2 in the screen grab below) .

Could it possibly be that it just takes a very long time to duplicate a 28+ minute movie and I am just not being patient enough? There certainly seems to be nothing happening on screen.

Thanks

Keith

User uploaded file

copy a movie and make an edited version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.