Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Disk You Inserted Not Readable By This Computer. What?

I've been using an external hard drive (usb) for a few months. As I was dropping footage to back up on the drive I've received an error that the disk is not readable. I have important files on there that has not been backed up to a second source, do how do I get my computer to recognize the hard drive without formatting! I also can see it on my Disk Utility but it won't allow me to repair the drive until I format it. What are my options?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:33 AM

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM with the EHD disconnected, then re-connect and test. If you have been using another drive as your Time Machine backup, then the EHD has probably also been backing up to it. If it has not and the HD has failed, then you can attempt data recovery software such as DiskWarrior or DataRescue and if those fail you can contact a data recovery service. Going forward, ALWAYS ensure you have redundant backup of all of your data.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 9:33 AM in response to jlandry21

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM with the EHD disconnected, then re-connect and test. If you have been using another drive as your Time Machine backup, then the EHD has probably also been backing up to it. If it has not and the HD has failed, then you can attempt data recovery software such as DiskWarrior or DataRescue and if those fail you can contact a data recovery service. Going forward, ALWAYS ensure you have redundant backup of all of your data.

The Disk You Inserted Not Readable By This Computer. What?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.