Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure motorola nvg589 wake on wireless

I'm trying to configure an ATT Morotola NVG589 modem/router to allow me to wake my LAN Macs for file sharing from another Mac or Apple TV via wi-fi. I have 3 Apple Macs on my home LAN. All are running the latest OS 10.11.1, and are "wake on wireless" capable. File-sharing is turned on. No problem accessing the computers from any other computer when they are awake. When the other computers are asleep, they are no longer seen in the Finder sidebar of the computer I'm using, and the files are no longer accessible. I also have an Apple TV (3rd gen) which cannot access the computers and their iTunes files when the computers are sleeping (awake is no problem). ATT was no help. This was out of their "technicians" league.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 11:26 AM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2015 12:00 PM in response to lukesdad1996

Wake for network access requires Apple's Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service to be resident in the router's firmware. The way it works is that your Macs register their presence on your LAN before they enter sleep as they normally do. The router, which doesn't sleep, acts as a "proxy" for those Macs and will respond to a remote network request on behalf of a client by issuing a "magic packet" to the Mac's hardware, which in turn wakes it so the Mac can respond to the remote request. Periodically (approximately once every hundred minutes or so), a sleeping Mac wakes for a brief period to advertise its continued presence on the network, then goes back to sleep.

Although it is open source, I am not aware of any non-Apple routers that incorporate that service. If you are interested in further investigation then ask Motorola if your router has that feature by name: Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service.

Dec 2, 2015 2:10 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your rapid reply, John. Much appreciated! I will follow up with ATT regarding Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service question, though I suspect I know what their answer will be. If the NVG589 doesn't have the Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service, is there any way to configure "inside my LAN" ports to allow only my Mac devices to wake any other Mac device, or are you saying it's flat impossible without Bonjour Sleep Proxy Service in the firmware? I know very little about messing with routers and ports (though I'm willing to try!). I do know that all my Macs have all features turned on to allow wake-on-wireless LAN. I just ran a test, and found that connecting one of my Macs to the router via ethernet cable allows me to access it while it's asleep from another computer via wi-fi. Apple TV can too.

Dec 3, 2015 8:15 AM in response to lukesdad1996

All that should be required is to select the appropriate options in System Preferences > Sharing, and to select "Wake for network access" in Energy Saver. Depending on whether the Mac is a desktop or portable, that selection might appear as "Wake for Ethernet network access" or "Wake for Wi-Fi network access". Apple changed the particular terminology from previous OS X releases. In my opinion that distinction presents an unnecessary complication, since the user ought not to be concerned with exactly how a Mac connects to a network. It should wake regardless of the particular network service it happens to be using. I made that suggestion to Apple, for what it's worth. There is only one choice though so whatever "wake" terminology appears for you, select it.

Though they use completely different services for doing so, Apple applies the same "Back To My Mac" terminology to waking a Mac from a device on the same LAN vs. waking it from the Internet, even using the phrase "Back to My Mac Network" whatever that's supposed to mean. BTMM on the same LAN uses local Bonjour for discovery whereas waking a Mac from outside your LAN uses a completely separate service that requires selecting the "Back to My Mac" option in System Preferences > iCloud. I suppose that keeps things simple, but it doesn't really do us any favors when attempting to diagnose problems when it doesn't work.

It is very likely that you might be able to wake Macs only over an Ethernet connection, while Wi-Fi might not work. The converse is equally likely, so try it both ways. Any router incorporating NAT-PMP is supposed to be adequate, but I can find no reason to expect remotely waking a sleeping Mac is possible unless the router also incorporates the Bonjour Sleep Proxy:

Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support

Get help using Back to My Mac - Apple Support

The latter document describes the ports that need to be opened in your router, if it's not an Apple router. Ultimately, the only way to eliminate any uncertainty is to use an Apple AirPort Base Station as your router. I know that will work. The AppleTV also incorporates the Bonjour Sleep Proxy, so it can also wake other Macs on the same LAN.

How to configure motorola nvg589 wake on wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.