Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get server to display all users

Yosemite server will not display all of our users. We have approximately 1500 and when I look for some in the list by scrolling to where they should be they do not show up. But if I do a search they are there. So if I want to do an export of all of our users, which I need to do to move to a new server, I can't rely on selecting all the users displayed in the users section of server. And I have not way of easily determining which users are not getting selected for the export.

There really, really should be a setting in Server to allow the program to display all users.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Server

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:28 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2015 3:33 PM in response to Sleestak Prime

Oh, okay, it seems to me that you want to create a replica of your current OD on another server and then promote it to a master. Instructions here:

http://krypted.com/mac-security/promote-a-yosemite-open-directory-replica-to-a-m aster/

The instructions refer to Server 3.5. I think they are still okay for more recent versions, but I haven't actually tested them. IME such transfers are very picky so keep careful notes as you go and test the new master v. carefully before switching users,

C.

Dec 3, 2015 9:43 AM in response to cdhw

This is frustrating. Trying to make 10.11 server a replica of a 10.10 server will not work. Server on the 10.11 Mac is saying "Your server cannot become a replica of 'x.x.x.x' because they are running incompatible versions of OS X. Please refer to the Open Directory Administration Guide for more information about this compatibility matrix."

I thought 5.0.15 server was supposed to be OS independent. And for crying out loud, I'm just trying to go from 10.10 to 10.11.

Dec 3, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Sleestak Prime

It think you want to create an OD archive. Remember, if you are exporting the users you are getting flat files that do NOT contain user passwords. However, if you perform an OD Archive you will get everything. The process you likely want to perform is:

1: On old server, create an OD Archive

2: Created new server to assume identity of old server, including host name and DNS

3: Restore the OD archive on the new server.

The "Archive Open Directory Master..." feature can be found under the Gear menu on the Open Directory tab of Server.app. Choose a save location and give the DMG a password.

When you are ready to restore on the new server, slide the Off/On switch to On and choose "Restore Open Directory domain from an archive."

After restoration, test to ensure that you can edit and add users. The user of dsexport and export users will not get passwords. If your OD archive fails, then resort to a flat file export and recreate your passwords.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author of Yosemite Server and Mavericks Server books

How can I get server to display all users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.