Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi screen presentation Advice needed

I'm in the process of building a number of presentations that will be spread across multiple (at least three) screens, each with their own content (non-mirrored).

I've looked into a screen span solution (Matrox) and it may work, but as we're likely moving toward 4k video in the future the resolution limitation is a hesitation, as well as the burden of a lot of videos and the work of building a triple width presentation.

It looks like multiple computers is my only option to support the video and transitions I need, but if anyone has ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

On the same note, If I go multiple computers, can anyone recommend a good method to synch the triggering of three or more presentation advances?

I have seen KeyshowX and I'll gladly take any reviews out there, or alternatives. I had thought of going as simple as a single presentation cue device tied to three computers, but the bluetooth will only pair on one Mac.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 9:10 PM

I haven't done this on a Mac - have done it on PC though. Unfortunately I'm not the tech geek leading the charge. But I do know that we use multiple video cards and NVIDIA's Mosaic http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-mosaic-technology.html

This actually works quite well, though we struggle with the setup each time. It might go easier on a Mac.

As to using multiple computers I've been doing that for years. For the best syncing possible use a Perfect Cue system with the extender http://www.dsan.com/CueLights/CueAccessories.asp

However, there are two big considerations when doing this:

1) Once you've split your file into the multiple sources, you have to be incredibly diligent with keeping the files matching (if you add an animation on one file, you need to add one on all the others - even if it is a fake click).

2) No matter how perfect the cue system, a slide that has 20mb of pictures on it will take longer to load than one with just a background and some text, so you will probably run into some sync issues. This is the main reason I've moved to the single presentation out to multiple screens.

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how to output to an LED screen that is actually higher res than 4K! We are currently considering going lower res and having the scaler line double!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2015 9:10 PM in response to ironboy

I haven't done this on a Mac - have done it on PC though. Unfortunately I'm not the tech geek leading the charge. But I do know that we use multiple video cards and NVIDIA's Mosaic http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-mosaic-technology.html

This actually works quite well, though we struggle with the setup each time. It might go easier on a Mac.

As to using multiple computers I've been doing that for years. For the best syncing possible use a Perfect Cue system with the extender http://www.dsan.com/CueLights/CueAccessories.asp

However, there are two big considerations when doing this:

1) Once you've split your file into the multiple sources, you have to be incredibly diligent with keeping the files matching (if you add an animation on one file, you need to add one on all the others - even if it is a fake click).

2) No matter how perfect the cue system, a slide that has 20mb of pictures on it will take longer to load than one with just a background and some text, so you will probably run into some sync issues. This is the main reason I've moved to the single presentation out to multiple screens.

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how to output to an LED screen that is actually higher res than 4K! We are currently considering going lower res and having the scaler line double!

Dec 3, 2015 8:58 PM in response to plumdumplings

Excellent suggestions I had not come across the perfect cue system (it is exactly what I need if it's mac compatible) and I had definitely not factored individual slide load times, it would have been an aggravating realization at the 11th hour! As I'm experimenting, I may look into some transition delay additions to compensate for the latency. Very glad you responded! Thanks.

Multi screen presentation Advice needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.