Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi repeatedly looking for networks, yet still saying connected - Macbook Pro (Retina 13-Inch Early 2015)

Despite W-Fi saying it is connected to networks - it still repeatedly says 'Looking for networks' (on and off) at which point internet connection seems to be lost for a few seconds (sometimes longer)

This happens intermittently, sometimes every five seconds sometimes every minute - Very frustrating.

It seems it is not the router as this is happening at multiple locations. (also tried changing the channel of router and other in the house don't have problems)

I have only had the laptop 2 weeks and have updated to el Capitan 10.11.1 since purchase - which may have coincided with the time this occurred; i can't fully be sure as at first I thought it was a lack of connection speeds. I do know it wasn't the case in the first week of purchase.

Apple support tried some possible fixes over the phone - including the moving and deleting of p.files (you'll have to bare with me I'm no tech whizz)

Likewise did some checks of the hardware which came up with no issues.

They suggested taking the laptop in store for it to be sent away for diagnostics; with the nearest time being in 6 days, and no knowledge of when it may return.

A solution i'm not fond of as am in the middle of writing a dissertation among other work.

Any ideas to fix this would be a great help!

George

MacBook Pro with Retina display, 10.11.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:53 AM

1 reply

Dec 1, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Gewerge

Your Wifi is always searching for networks, however it should not be be dropping your connection. You can see this if you option click on the wifi icon in the top menu. It cycles "looking for networks."

Maybe it is a matter of goodhouskeeping ?

Check your >System Preferences>Network

Location=automatic

select your WiFi in the left column, and uncheck the box Ask to join new networks

Also >System Preferences>Network>Advanced>wifi

Verify your Network is on top of the list, and delete any other networks you do not use.

Check the box √ Remember Networks this computer has joined.

Wi-fi repeatedly looking for networks, yet still saying connected - Macbook Pro (Retina 13-Inch Early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.