Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have my own Apple ID and account. My son shared his portfolio of iTunes purchases with me. Now I can't purchase music on my own account. How do I purchase using my own account without disabling the family sharing he instituted?

I have my own Apple ID and account. My son shared his portfolio of iTunes purchases with me. Now I can't purchase music on my own account. How do I purchase using my own account without disabling the family sharing he instituted? When I try to purchase an album of music, I am asked for his security code and if I had it, I would be using his credit card, not my own.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:17 PM

Whilst you are using family sharing (and aren't the organiser) you can't use your own credit card - you can use your account's balance if you have one, if you don't then the family organiser's card will be used for your purchases : Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account, unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card. As the family organizer, any receipts generated by the transaction will be sent to you.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 3:17 PM in response to ptknight

Whilst you are using family sharing (and aren't the organiser) you can't use your own credit card - you can use your account's balance if you have one, if you don't then the family organiser's card will be used for your purchases : Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account, unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card. As the family organizer, any receipts generated by the transaction will be sent to you.

Dec 1, 2015 3:22 PM in response to King_Penguin

My problem is not solved.

I have access to my previously purchased music and my son's large library.

But I cannot buy anything in the iTunes store without asking my son's permission and having his credit card billed. And I live much of the year in Brazil. So what do I do?

Do I have to somehow purchase store credit and in effect make a loan to Apple that I then draw down when I make a purchase?

Seems to me I should be able to buy music of my own to add to my collection -- and ideally that would be available to other family members. Surely Apple, with all its creativity and user friendliness can come up with a solution. I read all I could on the site and found no answer.

Dec 2, 2015 4:44 AM in response to ptknight

Whilst you remain in family sharing and your son is the family organiser you can't use a credit card on your account for your purchases - with family sharing the organiser takes responsibility for purchases. You can either use gift cards (if they are available in your country) to put a balance on your account, use the card on your son's account and reimburse him, or leave family sharing.

You say that 'live much of the year in Brazil'. Whilst in Brazil you can only use the Brazilian iTunes store, when you are in a different country you can only use that country's store.

I have my own Apple ID and account. My son shared his portfolio of iTunes purchases with me. Now I can't purchase music on my own account. How do I purchase using my own account without disabling the family sharing he instituted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.