Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high cpu usage even without apps running

Dear Guys and Gals,

I am experiencing a strange problem, my computer was incredibly slow in the last days, after a little troubleshooting, I decided to simply format everything and proceed with a new, clean system. Sadly, this has not solved the problem, what is more strange is that my activity monitor register anhigh CPU usage even if I am running just safari with one panel open. With high CPU usage, I mean around 70%, even more weird is the fact that the activity monitor doesn't show any process using such a big amount of CPU power. To better explain, it's better if I simply attach a little screenshot.

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (15 inches, Half 2010)

2,4 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

I am running Yosemite 10.10.5

Thank you so much for your help! It is really important!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 6:59 AM

Good morning Brookeboh, and welcome.

Please start your own new thread. Many experienced helpers here ignore what are called "threadjacks," especially of very old threads. Too hard to manage the information when multiple people are asking questions in the same thread---someone usually ends up getting the wrong information. Also, "exact same issue" seldom proves to be the case.

When you repost be sure to include a full description of your MacBook Pro including the all-important sub-model (Ex: "13-inch Mid 2012") and the Mac OS version it is running. Both are available by choosing "About this Mac" from your "Apple" menu (left end of menubar. For example, mine looks like this:

User uploaded file

I look forward to seeing your post.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 6:59 AM in response to Brookeboh

Good morning Brookeboh, and welcome.

Please start your own new thread. Many experienced helpers here ignore what are called "threadjacks," especially of very old threads. Too hard to manage the information when multiple people are asking questions in the same thread---someone usually ends up getting the wrong information. Also, "exact same issue" seldom proves to be the case.

When you repost be sure to include a full description of your MacBook Pro including the all-important sub-model (Ex: "13-inch Mid 2012") and the Mac OS version it is running. Both are available by choosing "About this Mac" from your "Apple" menu (left end of menubar. For example, mine looks like this:

User uploaded file

I look forward to seeing your post.

Dec 1, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Haematinon

The bar graph shows mostly red, indicating that system processes (rather than user processes) are using most of the CPU. Select "System Processes" (or "All Processes") in the "View" menu to see which system processes are involved. That should make the job of determining why it is happening easier. Let us know what you find out.

high cpu usage even without apps running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.