Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Tv 4th Gen vs 3rd Gen Video Quality

I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I know that both 3rd and 4th Gen produce 1080p at 60Hz. Has anyone compared the actual quality of the image though? For example, my Sony Bravia XBRx810c 4k 55" displays Netflix at a higher quality (qualitatively) on the native smart TV Netflix app than it does from my 3rd Gen Apple TV for some reason. I'm not sure if this is due to losses over an HDMI cable, or if apple TV just doesn't process the streaming data as well, but I'm seeing that not all 1080p @ 60Hz is created equally apparently.

Given that Apple TV 4th Gen has a fancy new processor, I was wondering if this improves the perceptible image quality of Netflix and iTunes movies i.e. a reason to actually upgrade.

Any input is welcome.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:04 PM

There are no replies.

Apple Tv 4th Gen vs 3rd Gen Video Quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.