Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Doesn't recognize my own Contact Card

I'm having the same issue when trying to send a message to myself from the computer to the phone. Even though there are active message strings to myself within the app to a couple different accounts, if I try to compose a new message, it won't show either of the active conversations, or any of my active accounts in auto fill. Even if I type my phone number in the exact format, it won't come up. I've checked the preference within messages, and it all looks fine.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 2:26 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2015 2:19 PM in response to fodermonk

Hi,

This thread is in Mavericks but your first Post says EL Capitan.

I have found this in El Capitan's version of Messages that if you type your own Name in expecting to be able to choose between the Apple ID and the iPhone Number the iPhone Number does not show up.

In Fact on checking none of my Address Card info for this Mac (Ralph Johns's iMac) show up.

User uploaded file

However If I Copy and Paste the number in it does link to previous Chats and lists my Address Card as the contact.

User uploaded file

It still does not show my Apple ID.

I used to use this to test to my iPhone Number by just typing in my name and this longer method is a pain.

User uploaded file

10:19 pm Wednesday; December 2, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages Doesn't recognize my own Contact Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.