Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching carriers on an IPAD Air 2

I just bought an IPAD Air 2 from Verizon and agreed to a two year contract. It just arrived with a "pre-inserted Verizon Wireless SIM" card. The salesperson at the Apple store told me IPAD's were no longer "carrier specific". Does anybody know if the Apple SIM card is still in the device and accessible for use with participating carriers e.g. AT&T? Can the Verizon SIM card can simply be removed and replaced with an AT&T card in the event I want to change carriers - or am I locked into Verizon for the life of the IPAD?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 5:06 PM

> Does anybody know if the Apple SIM card is still in the device and accessible for use with participating carriers e.g. AT&T?

If you buy it from Apple store, it should come with Apple SIM card. I'm not sure about those sold at Verizon. My guess is they come with Verizon SIM card because you can't use Apple SIM card on Verizon's network. It makes no sense to sell a device that does not work on their own network so it must come with their SIM.

> Can the Verizon SIM card can simply be removed and replaced with an AT&T card in the event I want to change carriers - or am I locked into Verizon for the life of the IPAD?

You should be able to use other nano SIM cards but if you agree to 2 year contract, rules may be different (or not). Verizon may lock it until the device is fully paid (and/or the 2 year contract is over). Someone posted this in another thread: http://www.imore.com/how-to-pick-ipad-data-plan Read the section "The Verizon factor".

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 5:06 PM in response to rapid city

> Does anybody know if the Apple SIM card is still in the device and accessible for use with participating carriers e.g. AT&T?

If you buy it from Apple store, it should come with Apple SIM card. I'm not sure about those sold at Verizon. My guess is they come with Verizon SIM card because you can't use Apple SIM card on Verizon's network. It makes no sense to sell a device that does not work on their own network so it must come with their SIM.

> Can the Verizon SIM card can simply be removed and replaced with an AT&T card in the event I want to change carriers - or am I locked into Verizon for the life of the IPAD?

You should be able to use other nano SIM cards but if you agree to 2 year contract, rules may be different (or not). Verizon may lock it until the device is fully paid (and/or the 2 year contract is over). Someone posted this in another thread: http://www.imore.com/how-to-pick-ipad-data-plan Read the section "The Verizon factor".

Dec 1, 2015 5:18 PM in response to ShagCA

ShagCA thanks for your response. I know that Verizon installed a Verizon card because it says so on the receipt - and I know I have to accept a 2 year contract to get the discounted price. I am trying to find out if, after the 2 year contract, can I switch to a different carrier if I want to using the same IPad. I assume this would require replacing the Verizon Sim with an Apple Sim or another carrier's. Do you know if you can buy an Apple Sim card to replace a Verizon card? I am also trying to determine if Verizon actually replaced the Apple Sim card or is the Apple sim card still in the iPad but just not available. Do you know?

Dec 2, 2015 9:34 AM in response to rapid city

Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I just realized you mentioned it just arrived with a "pre-inserted Verizon Wireless SIM" card.

I'm sure you'll be able to use a nano SIM card from other mobile network providers but you don't have to wait 2 years to find out. Visit an Apple store and ask them that you want to get an Apple SIM. Replace Verizon SIM card with Apple SIM and test it yourself.

> I am also trying to determine if Verizon actually replaced the Apple Sim card or is the Apple sim card still in the iPad but just not available

There can only be 1 SIM card in the tray. So it's either Apple SIM or Verizon's. Your can't have both SIM cards in there at the same time.

Dec 2, 2015 10:02 AM in response to ShagCA

ShagCA thanks for your response. I know that Verizon installed a Verizon card because it says so on the receipt - and I know I have to accept a 2 year contract to get the discounted price. I am trying to find out if, after the 2 year contract, can I switch to a different carrier if I want to using the same IPad. I assume this would require replacing the Verizon Sim with an Apple Sim or another carrier's. Do you know if you can buy an Apple Sim card to replace a Verizon card? I am also trying to determine if Verizon actually replaced the Apple Sim card or is the Apple sim card still in the iPad but just not available. Do you know?

Dec 2, 2015 4:08 PM in response to ShagCA

ShagCA, Thanks again for your response. Your answers have been very helpful and I understand the situation now. However, I live over 200 miles from an Apple store so I can't just walk in and get one. I called two Apple stores to see if they sold Apple nano-sim cards, how much they cost and whether I could buy one over the phone. Each store's automated system routed my call to 1-800 Apple and the sales associate told me Apple doesn't sell nano-Sim cards outside of the iPad even though their website says you can get one at a retail store. So I am in the middle of this endless loop. Do you know anyone who has actually bought an Apple nano-sim card outside of an iPad Air 2? Thank you.

Dec 3, 2015 1:54 PM in response to rapid city

No, I don't know, sorry but I have another tip for you. You just want to make sure if your iPad can connect to mobile networks other than Verizon, right? If that's correct, borrow someone else's nano SIM card for the test.

I have 1 other tip, buy a t-mobile nano SIM card for 99 cents (with a promo code SIM99). In case you don't know, t-mobile offers 200MB/month free data for the life of your device. I have been using T-Mobile 200MB free data for almost 2 years now.

Start here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

Choose T-Mobile in the "Select the wireless carrier that you most recently used with this device" field. Then type "Apple iPad Air 2" then click Check Device. Click Buy Now on the next screen then click Checkout. Enter promo code SIM99 on the checkout screen. Your total charges should be $0.99 + tax (if applicable). Shipping is free.

Dec 3, 2015 2:05 PM in response to ShagCA

Great Tips!!! Thank you very much. You are absolutely right, at this point all I want to do two things. 1. Determine if Verizon has locked me out of using other carriers. I don't know any other iPad Air 2 owners so I may have to go the T-mobile nano sim route. 2. Determine if there are any other possible disadvantages of not having an Apple SIM. I've only been able to discover two the first being unable to "easily" select/switch carriers The only other issue I've uncovered is somehow having an Apple sim would allow me to bypass Verizon roaming charges when traveling internationally by purchasing a temporary data service in the country where you're going and somehow accessing the service through the Apple Sim. We are thinking of an international trip and this could be an issue but that's the extent of my knowledge on this issue. Any genius tips for this one?

I really appreciate your help. You have given me more and better tips than all the Apple and Verizon people combined!!!

Dec 3, 2015 3:07 PM in response to rapid city

> 1. Determine if Verizon has locked me out of using other carriers. I don't know any other iPad Air 2 owners so I may have to go the T-mobile nano sim route.

I'm not 100% positive but I think you can use smartphone nano SIM on the iPad. Try it anyway if you have a smartphone nano SIM.

> The only other issue I've uncovered is somehow having an Apple sim would allow me to bypass Verizon roaming charges when traveling internationally

I don't work for t-mobile and I don't get anything for praising them but I gotta tell you something... t-mobile plans include international data roaming. I live in the US and I roamed in Alberta Canada a couple of months ago. To my surprise, my free 200MB/month includes data roaming in Canada. My iPad Air (1st gen) locks on to LTE signal all the time in the city of Banff, Jasper and Calgary. I was worried that they'd charge me an arm and a leg while roaming in Canada but it's been 3 months and I have never seen a single bill.

Dec 3, 2015 3:17 PM in response to rapid city

You're welcome. If I were you, I'd definitely get the 99 cent t-mobile nano SIM. It's worth it. You may want to get it a.s.a.p because of the promotion (it comes and goes). If it's no longer 99 cent, you gotta wait a few weeks/months until they start offering a different promo code that drops the price back to 99 cent.

Dec 4, 2015 6:36 AM in response to ShagCA

ok I just went to the T mobile site and step 1 it asks you to check your device. When asked what carrier you last used your device with I typed in Verizon, then it asked what type of device and I selected IPAd Air 2. It said the device wasn't compatible. Any clue? I'm going to order it anyway as I am only out .99 but this compatibility may void a real test. By the way, I chatted with Verizon last night and asked specifically if they locked the iPad and their answer was "absolutely not". they told me I could change sim cards to use it with different carriers. I have all this in writing but I don't know if it makes me safe or not.

By the way, on t-mobile, the .99 offer says you need a qualifying plan in the fine print. Do you have a plan with Tmobile?

Dec 4, 2015 9:08 AM in response to rapid city

You weren't following my instruction in my previous post:

Choose T-Mobile in the "Select the wireless carrier that you most recently used with this device" field.

The goal is to get t-mobile nano SIM card for 99 cents. Don't worry about compatibility. They are all the same device with different SIM in them. I purchased a 1st gen iPad Air with AT&T SIM in it but I've been using t-mobile SIM instead.

> By the way, on t-mobile, the .99 offer says you need a qualifying plan in the fine print. Do you have a plan with Tmobile?

While I have a prepaid t-mobile plan, it is unnecessary to get the $0.99 SIM card and 200MB free data. I'm positive you don't need a t-mobile plan. Having said that, it won't hurt to read what you're purchasing carefully. You should see the following during checkout:

One time fee: $0

Due today: $0.99

Due monthly: $0

That should be good. When you receive the nano SIM card, insert it in your iPad. Then use your iPad to sign up for a new t-mobile account and choose 200MB/month free data (this is important. If you choose the wrong plan you will be charged). If you don't see the 200MB/month free offer, do NOT choose other plans unless you want to pay.

Another important info (read below) from the link I mentioned several days ago:

The Verizon factor

All iPads are sold unlocked. However, Verizon will only allow iPads in their database on their network. So, if you activate your iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3 on another carrier first, you won't be able to use it on Verizon later. Not ever. However, as long as you activate it on Verizon first, you can then switch to another carrier of your choosing later, since Verizon is the only carrier with this restriction.

Dec 4, 2015 9:30 AM in response to ShagCA

ok I ordered the Tmobile nano-sim for .99 following your instructions exactly. I had read that about Verizon and couldn't believe it. I wonder how they can do that technically?nnSounds like I better activate the iPad on Verizon first while I'm waiting for the T mobile SIM and then use the Tmobile sim to verify the iPad works with other carriers and get the free 200mg of data. I'll let you know how it all works.

Switching carriers on an IPAD Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.