Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore issues - Anyone else?

My husband and I finally arrived at the time when an upgrade was due. Before picking up our new phones, I backed up my 5s using iTunes with no errors and my husband backed up his using the LG software he had.

Once we arrived home, my husband used the LG software to restore his apps, etc... it was flawless and he was up and running within 30 minutes. That's the end of his story.It just worked. My story, on the other hand, not so much...

When I attempted to restore my settings with iTunes, I was presented with a about half a dozen drop-down list of identically-named choices. There was no way to differentiate between them. We'll call this "Apple user experience fail #1". Frustrated, I started working down the list of names only to encounter failures at every turn. I was able to locate the backup folder on my hard drive from the backup I made before picking up my new phone, but there was no way to instruct iTunes to use that folder (Apple user experience fail #2). I finally arrived at what I believe to be the entry correlated to the root of the correct backup folder and attempted to restore from there. After working for a while, iTunes failed the process with "an error occured." Which error? Who knows. It didn't say. Error number? Nope. Any more info in the windows event log? None (Apple user experience fail #3). We can also call this last part "sophomoric software imlementation" because if you cannot bother to even assist the user in resolving their issue during such a critical operation, you really have no business writing or distributing software.

Ok. It was now appearing likely that my data was gone and I would have to rebuild all my apps, settings, etc... from scratch... by hand, and it was entirely Apple's fault. It was at this point that I reached the "25% sure that I will be switching to android next time" threshold. Next, noticing that there was a "restore from cloud" option and in a last ditch effort to not have to rebuild all of my content, I selected it. It seemed to start well and didn't give me any errors, so I went about my business while it worked. Enough of my apps were restored relatively quickly that I thought the ordeal was over and that this last line of defense had saved me, so I calmed down and left the process lamenting how bad the iPhone and iTunes experience had become over the last few years.

I live in the country and we have WiMax internet that isn't so fast, is pretty expensive, and has a 150GB monthly data cap before the per-GB charges start. Since I was moving from a not-entirely-full 32GB 5s, I figured I'd be fine while the iCloud restore continued. Again... not so much. Over the course of the next week my family noticed that the internet was slower than normal but didn't think to correlate it to my phone. It wasn't until we got the notice from our ISP that we'd managed to hit our ENTIRE monthly data cap in a single week that my husband started scouring the network for the offending device. The ISP provided a dated graph of usage and - surprise - the floodgates opened when the iPhone came home and was essentially at full throttle the whole time.

Somehow, the iPhone - in its attempt to restore far less than 32GB of data had managed to consume 150GB of traffic. This passes straight beyond the "Apple user experience fail #4" only to arrive at "Apple apparently doesn't care any more." Thanks to this complete failure on the part of Apple - and Apple alone - my internet bill was $45 higher than it should have been.

But, that's ok. Live and learn. Has anyone else experienced this kind of multi-tiered failure?

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:47 PM

Nope. Whenever I restore from an iCloud back up, I make sure to do it through a WiFi connection since data rates and all that jazz.

Sounds typical in all honesty, but then again I just roll with most issues since I never assume anything is perfect or will work as intended 100% of the time. That's just technology for yah! But it's also my own personal view.

Sorry to hear about the hiccups, but at least you know never to restore from an iCloud backup at your home again. (Also to **** with data-caps, they are ruining everything good about the internet.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 1:47 PM in response to MonkeyFaze

Nope. Whenever I restore from an iCloud back up, I make sure to do it through a WiFi connection since data rates and all that jazz.

Sounds typical in all honesty, but then again I just roll with most issues since I never assume anything is perfect or will work as intended 100% of the time. That's just technology for yah! But it's also my own personal view.

Sorry to hear about the hiccups, but at least you know never to restore from an iCloud backup at your home again. (Also to **** with data-caps, they are ruining everything good about the internet.)

Dec 1, 2015 2:06 PM in response to dklubu

It was a WiFi connection -- and that wasn't the point. The points are:

1 - Apple's iTunes software prevented me from restoring or diagnosing the failure to restore because it is poorly written.

2 - The phone used >150GB of data in an (unsuccessful) attempt to restore ~20GB of data because my butt restore is apparently flawed

3 - No, technology isn't perfect, but the experience I am describing goes so far beyond 'poor' that it is inexcusable.

Your apparent attitude of "oh well, sometimes your devices will just screw themselves up" is a sad statement on expectations. If your car exploded once in a while when you tried to unlock it, would you continue buying that brand of car? I surely hope not.

At any rate, thanks, but please read and understand posts before responding. Not doing this is destroying the internet far faster than any data caps.

Dec 1, 2015 2:35 PM in response to MonkeyFaze

If you'd like to leave feedback please refer to http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Otherwise you'll get personal opinions here from other apple product users, like me! If yan don't like'm, yah don't like'm!

If yah think going to a different brand would be a good option for yah, go for it! That's the great thing about options, there's plenty of them, and they're all good!

Restore issues - Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.