Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am charged for international SMS I didn't make

I just bought a new iPhone and noted that I was charged for international SMS I didn't make. When checking with my mobile operator it appears there were all to UK numbers. They claimed this only happens with iPhones. iPhone users in several chat lines confirmed they had the same problem and said this was linked to FaceTime and iMessage. Any idea if thats true and tips how to avoid these charges?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2015 1:30 PM

Turn on Facetime. Tap on your Apple ID and sign out. Then turn on iMessage. Tap Send & Receive. Tap on your Apple ID and sign out. Then turn it off it it hasn't gone off by itself.

16 replies

Dec 1, 2015 2:52 PM in response to JeromePC

To avoid those charges, use a supported wireless provider. Part of becoming

a supported wireless provider is that the cellular carrier agrees not to charge

the iPhone user for the international SMS used to activate FaceTime and/or

iMessage.

Go to Settings, scroll down to the entry for FaceTime and toggle the switch

so it no longer shows green (when not green, FaceTime is off/inactive).

Settings=>Messages, toggle off the switch for iMessage.

tl;dr If you wish to continue to use FaceTime or iMessage, use a supported

wireless provider or pay for the SMS required for activation.

Dec 8, 2015 1:54 AM in response to JeromePC

I was hoping problem would be resolved after turning off iMessage and FaceTime. But no, I still incur charges for sending text messages to the UK which I never sent!

Any idea which other app could be responsible for these charges, or if there is any settings I can change? Or is it a way to block any text messages sent abroad?

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2015 1:04 PM in response to JeromePC

Hi, me too i found out about this issue : around 15 message to UK per month ! Now i read all over and it's look like the only solution is to swicht off iMessage and FaceTime ( i mentioned that i activetid only one time, i never turn off until now).

My question is this : until 2 month ago i use the some telephone number with the some Iphone (4s), but different provider, and NO strange extra charge.

2 Month ago i change the provider AND also the phone number ( not the Iphone). But i do not sign out or turn off iMessage and Face time before to change the sim ( i read somewhere that this is the good way when you change Iphone/ phone number).

Can be this the mistake ? If i understand well the iMessage and face time service is connected by the Iphone-Apple Id AND phone number?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Dec 10, 2015 1:26 PM in response to stedracu

Changing wireless providers is what caused the SMSs to be charged to your account.

Your former provider is Apple approved and does not charge for the activation SMSs;

your current provider is not Apple approved and so is charging you for the SMSs.

Changing your phone number had no effect on this, changing providers is what governs.

Dec 10, 2015 1:38 PM in response to stedracu

For me turning off FaceTime and iMessages didn't resolve the issue but signing out from both apps seems to have done the trick - I haven't been charged since doing what Lawrence Finch recommended : "Turn on Facetime. Tap on your Apple ID and sign out. Then turn on iMessage. Tap Send & Receive. Tap on your Apple ID and sign out. Then turn it off it it hasn't gone off by itself.". Lets hope that continues! And thanks again Lawrence!!!

I am charged for international SMS I didn't make

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.