Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari memory usage

Hi this has been posted a few times but this is my activity monitor. Macbook pro early 2015. Minimal extra software added - office, spotify , etc.

Seriously, having a few tabs open in safari causes almost 13Gb of usage.... is it just me or is this somewhat stupid?

Cheers

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 2:52 PM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2015 9:08 PM in response to quigglyy

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Dec 6, 2015 1:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

I had the same problem and tried every solution procedure in this forum I found, nothing helped...

HERE THE SOLUTION THAT HELPED FOR ME:

0. close Safari completely (maybe you need to perform a forced exit)

1. go to Finder

2. press "shift" + "CMD" + "g"

3. in the "goto window" enter "~/Library/"

4. delete the hole Safari folder

(5. restart Safari with hold "shift" and click the app-symbol)

I do not know why it helped, I think one or several history entries or bookmarks caused my safari app to constantly f*ck my RAM. So I decided to make a fresh start with all my safari settings to be sure - and it worked: in activity monitor I reduced the Safari-RAM from 18GB (after safari was opened for 1 hour with only one tab open (google.com) to 41MB for the same tab open 🙂

(if you want to save your favorites or bookmarks I am sure that you can do that - google the procedure... I you continue to have the RAM-problem you can delete the hole safari folder )

please reply here if it worked for you, too!

Safari memory usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.