Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hdmi to mini display port

I have a late 2012 Mac mini with hdmi port and thunderbolt/mini display port. An external drive is attached to the latter but it does not have a second port for daisy chaining a monitor. I would like to connect an apple 24 inch display to the mini. This display has a mini display port connector. Can I connect it to the mini via an hdmi-display port cable or are these only one way, that is do they only take a signal from the Mac mini thunderbolt port to an hdmi input on a monitor?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:44 PM

7 replies

Dec 1, 2015 2:06 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks – but it's discontinued, as is its later replacement. The other links show variety of adapters but not one that specifically will connect hdmi ports to mini display ports. I don't suppose you know of a splitter for Thunderbolt that would allow me to connect both my drive and the mini-display port cable – can't see one anywhere.

Dec 3, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Roger Billcliffe1

The device Illaass listed is a Mini Displayport splitter not a Thunderbolt splitter. As such it would allow connecting multiple Displayport monitors but no Thunderbolt devices at all.

The device John Galt listed is what you want and I am impressed at him finding one. You will also need a Displayport to Mini Displayport adapter like this http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/6in-DisplayPort-to-Mini-D isplayPort-Video-Cable-Adapter-Male-t…

Note: The above approach will only work with the Apple LED Cinema Display 24" it will not work with the 27" model.

hdmi to mini display port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.