Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID authentication blocked by Kasperky

At present Kasperky Internet Security running on a Mac blocks authentication of your Apple ID.

The workaround is to disable Kaspersky and then everything works find ... otherwise you can't use all kinds of functionality such as Messages, App Store etc.

I reported it to Kaspersky but they were not very interested. Maybe I'm the fool for trusting Gartner and Barclays on this one...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:13 PM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2015 6:07 PM in response to SimonGrant

Like all non-Apple "anti-virus" garbage Kaspersky is a complete waste of your time and money. There is no workaround. It has to be uninstalled according to its instructions. One or more of the following may be applicable:

http://support.kaspersky.com/7264

http://support.kaspersky.com/8366

http://support.kaspersky.com/9941

Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

Dec 2, 2015 11:35 AM in response to John Galt

Its not a waste of my money because I got it free 🙂

I agree with the effective defences article, but I'm not convinced that there is no value in the good products. Something like Avira which is free is pretty good if you have plenty of spare CPU/Memory for day to day, and then you can always disable it when you need some more horse power...

Dec 2, 2015 12:29 PM in response to SimonGrant

"Avira" is completely useless as well as fraudulent, because it claimed to have found "security issues" on a brand new Mac containing little more than one minimally configured User Account. How a brand new Mac could possibly have "security issues" is an unresolved question, but after letting it perform a "full system scan" for about three hours it never identified those "issues".

"Kaspersky" is equally useless for the reasons you already determined, as well as having claimed to be compatible with the "latest release of OS X", which at the time it identified as one at least a year out of date. How well do you suppose a product will be able to respond to a real threat that could arise at any time, when its developer doesn't even know what version of OS X is the most recent?

The point is that one of those things convey any benefit, and it is irresponsible to delegate operating system security to software. At best they will do nothing, and at worst will prevent your Mac from working while exposing you to greater malware intrusion and information theft than if you had left it to work as Apple designed. It's your Mac though, so do as you please. If that means burdening it with junk, knock yourself out. Judging from the volume of problems reported on this site directly attributable to ill-conceived "anti-virus" junk, it seems to be a very popular pastime.

Maybe I'm the fool for trusting Gartner and Barclays on this one...

That's also up to you to decide.

Dec 2, 2015 1:52 PM in response to SimonGrant

SimonGrant wrote:

Its not a waste of my money because I got it free 🙂

I agree with the effective defences article, but I'm not convinced that there is no value in the good products. Something like Avira which is free is pretty good if you have plenty of spare CPU/Memory for day to day, and then you can always disable it when you need some more horse power...

Time is money and you are wasting your time with these antivirus products. Use them if you wish but they are messing with your system and causing errors. Search these forums to see the multitude of issues reported related to these products.

Apple ID authentication blocked by Kasperky

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.