Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (4th) not showing in iTunes for a restore

I have a dev Apple TV (October 2015) and I want to restore it. I followed the instructions in Restore your Apple TV using iTunes - Apple Support but the Apple TV is not showing in iTunes. I'm using a USC-C to USB-female adapter (bought in an Apple Store at the recommandation of Apple employees to connect to the Apple TV and a USB 2 to USB 2 data link cable from the Apple adapter to the USB port of an iMac (iMac12,1). I did everything in the recommended sequence:

Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from your Apple TV.

Open iTunes on your computer. Make sure that you have the latest version. (12.3.1.23)

Connect the USB-C or Micro-USB cable to the back of your Apple TV and to a USB port on your computer. (see above)

If you have an Apple TV (3rd or 4th generation), plug in the power cord.

It's not showing in iTunes. What should I do?

Thanks,

Denis

P.S. I can't help but wonder why there was a USB to lightning cable with the Apple TV, which can't be used at all with an Apple TV, instead of a USC-C to USB cable which could be used to plug it in a Mac.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 5:46 PM

Since you have a Dev system you may be better off in the Dev forum as I expect there are few on the user community that have experience with what difference there is between dev and consumer...

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

1 reply

Apple TV (4th) not showing in iTunes for a restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.