Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

POPups about serious problems with my mac lock me out of Safari and my computer.

Every time I go to a website with Safari I get new window or a popup telling me I have many viruses and issues and gives me an 800# to call. It locks me up. The more i select to the Leave the page the more popups I get. It appears to be a virus I suppose, but I have never had virus protection because, probably ignorantly, I believed MAC's didn't get virus. Please help.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:44 PM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Niel

Hi Niel - Looks like this is a common question. I've seen these messages a few times but have always just done a force quit then restarted Safari. But... Today I got the familiar popup (attached) while searching appliance sites for a repair part. After a force quit and Safari restart I continued my search, found the part and ordered it with my credit card. A couple of hours later I got a call from the bank regarding about $1500 in fraudulent purchases made on my credit card right after I submitted the order for the part.

Any thoughts? coincidence? something more sinister?

Thanks, Will

Late 2009 Mini, OSX 10.11.1 Safari 9.0.1 with Adblock Plus 1.9.3

User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2015 7:42 PM in response to pamelafromlufkin

Read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

You may also have inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

POPups about serious problems with my mac lock me out of Safari and my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.