Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari

Last night and again this morning I went through the whole process of the "Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari" from Apple's help page. Last night I found files to delete which I did and immediately I went on Safari the exact same things happened; I have gone back this morning followed the process again but found nothing.

Upon opening Safari I was invited to Win an Apple Watch (http://struct.nt-com.co/c/mf5s9zl4f8q) Then when I clicked to ask this question I was taken to another page offering another competition.

I don't know what else to do...my computer is basically useless as it is so slow and I spend all my time shutting pages down and yes I have cleared all history and caches.

Looking for help urgently

Kind Regard

Shirley

Ps While trying to get onto the OS X El Capitan community site I got http://customersurveyau1.com/au/2b/s2b.php?t202kw=discussions.apple.com&loc=Bris bane&isp=Telstra%20Internet&voluumdata=v…

Operating System 10.11.1

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 5.1.1, null

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 1:19 PM

Go step by step and test.

1. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extension off or disable them, then relaunch Safari to test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

2. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

3. Use free AdwareMedic / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2015 1:19 PM in response to SassyShirl

Go step by step and test.

1. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extension off or disable them, then relaunch Safari to test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

2. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

3. Use free AdwareMedic / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

Dec 1, 2015 9:05 PM in response to SassyShirl

You may have installed ad-injection malware ("adware").

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

Some of the most common types of adware can be removed by following Apple's instructions.

If you're not already running the latest version of OS X ("El Capitan"), updating or upgrading in the App Store may cause the adware to be removed automatically. Back up all data before taking that step. If you're already running the latest version of El Capitan, you can nevertheless download the current updater from the Apple Support Downloads page and run it. Again, some kinds of malware will be removed. That may be all you need to do as far as removal is concerned, but you'll still need to make changes to the way you use the computer to protect yourself from further attacks.

If the above steps don't work for you, see below.

This easy procedure will detect any kind of adware that I know of. Deactivating it is a separate, and even easier, procedure.

Some legitimate software is ad-supported and may display ads in its own windows or in a web browser while it's running. That's not malware and it may not show up. Also, some websites carry intrusive popup ads that may be mistaken for adware.

If none of your web browsers is working well enough to carry out these instructions, restart the computer in safe mode. That will disable the malware temporarily.

Step 1

Please triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. Press return. Either a folder named "LaunchAgents" will open, or you'll get a notice that the folder can't be found. If the folder isn't found, go to the next step.

If the folder does open, press the key combination command-2 to select list view, if it's not already selected. Please don't skip this step.

There should be a column in the Finder window headed Date Modified. Click that heading twice to sort the contents by date with the newest at the top. If necessary, enlarge the window so that all of the contents are showing.

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Take a screenshot of a window." An image file with a name beginning in "Screen Shot" should be saved to the Desktop. Open the screenshot and make sure it's readable. If not, capture a smaller part of the screen showing only what needs to be shown.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

Leave the folder open for now.

Step 2

Do as in Step 1 with this line:

/Library/LaunchAgents

The folder that may open will have the same name, but is not the same, as the one in Step 1. As in that step, the folder may not exist.

Step 3

Repeat with this line:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

This time the folder will be named "LaunchDaemons."

Step 4

Open the Safari preferences window and select the Extensions tab. If any extensions are listed, post a screenshot. If there are no extensions, or if you can't launch Safari, skip this step.

Step 5

If you use the Firefox or Chrome browser, open its extension list and do as in Step 4.

Dec 1, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc

As I said in my original query I have followed those procedures to the letter - step by step - not once but twice with finding some files to delete the first time and nothing the second time; and as I needed my computer I have already gone ahead and downloaded Malawarebytes for Mac and it has cleaned up the issue.

Mind you I'm not questioning your knowledge in the slightest little bit but if you could help me understand your statement - "Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less."

If this was the case then should it not have been impossible to get the virus in the first place? Please help a unsavvy tech person to understand.

Kind regards

Shirley Dwyer

Dec 1, 2015 10:02 PM in response to SassyShirl

I have followed those procedures to the letter

No, you haven't, because you didn't post the screenshots I asked for.

If this was the case then should it not have been impossible to get the virus in the first place?

No. My point was that "anti-malware" software doesn't really protect you from malware. Relying on it for protection gives you a false sense of security and therefore makes you more vulnerable. The only safety lies in following safe computing practices. Taking the advice of a stranger on a website to run unknown software is as far as you can get from safe computing. Keep that up, and you can look forward to more of the same, and worse, to come.

Dec 2, 2015 11:04 PM in response to SassyShirl

SassyShirl wrote:

Thank you for the lecture Linc

I should note that there's nothing wrong with AdwareMedic/Malwarebytes. It's a perfectly safe program that removes malware/adware from your system if you believe you have it. It doesn't damage your computer, it doesn't do anything other than what it purports to do. Obviously, the best thing is to never have to use it, but sometimes even the most careful people have an oopsie, and if that's the case, that product is there to help fix things. Malware/adware can be removed manually, and there are several tutorials here on how to do that if that's what you want to do, but Malwarebytes is not "unknown software," and no one here, least of all myself, recommends anyone download anything they would not be willing to put on their computer. Kind of a "put your money where your mouth is" situation.

Dec 2, 2015 9:16 AM in response to SassyShirl

Thank you for the lecture Linc

You're welcome. Here's another one.

Your question brings up the subject of removing adware. This is a general comment on that subject.

Under no circumstances should you ever allow anti-virus software to delete something for you.

The only tools that anyone needs to detect and remove adware are the Finder and a web browser, both of which you already have. Anyone who has enough computer skill to install adware can just as well remove it without using anything else.

Apple's general statements about malware protection are here and here, and here are its instructions for removing the most common types of ad-injection malware. Those statements don't mention any third-party "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product. Apple's method for removing adware involves only the Finder and a web browser, as stated above.

You become infected with malware by downloading unknown software without doing research to determine whether it's safe. If you keep making that mistake, the same, and worse, will keep happening, and no anti-malware will rescue you. Your own intelligence and caution are the only reliable defense.

The Windows/Android anti-malware industry had more than $75 billion in sales in 2014 [source: Gartner, Inc.] Its marketing strategy is to convince people that they're helpless against malware attack unless they use its products. But with all that anti-malware, the Windows and Android platforms are still infested with malware—most of it far more harmful than mere adware. The same can be expected to happen to the Mac platform if its users trust the same industry to protect them, instead of protecting themselves.

You are not helpless, and you don't have to give full control of your computer—and your data—to strangers in order to be rid of adware.

These are generalities. Regarding the "malwarebytes" product in particular, you may be told that there are no reports that is has caused damage. In fact, there are such reports; for example:

I found malware or adware on my system the other day. I removed it with Maleware Bytes and since then Safari has not worked proper at all.

preferences pane will not load

Read that report and draw your own conclusions—not anyone else's conclusions.

The developer itself admitted that the Windows version of the product has been known to delete essential system files.

Whether the software damages the system or not, it prompts for your password in order to take full adminstrative control, and connects via the Internet to a server controlled by the developer. The developer's privacy policy, linked directly to the product page, reads in part as follows:

"Without limiting the Privacy Policy, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain data it obtains from your Computer including data about any malicious software or other threats flagged by the Software, data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location."

(Emphasis added.) So the developer admits to tracking your location, as well as other unspecified data, and gives itself the legal right to collect any data it chooses. How it uses that right, you don't know. By running the software, you accept these terms.

It's sometimes said that the Malwarebytes product only removes adware rather than malware as such (if there's a difference), and that it therefore shouldn't be stigmatized as anti-malware. The developer's own description does distinguish between adware and malware, and specifically mentions removing malware as a selling point six times. A self-described employee of the developer wrote in an ASC discussion, "Actually, it's also a malware removal app..." (emphasis added.)

The question then is: as a security-conscious computer user, do you want to take risks where there is no benefit?

Dec 2, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

OK, I'm trying to ascertain if I have the same issue as above. I do believe the adware first showed up after complying with an alert for an update to flash player, just as i had done a hundred times before. Now I know to go to the actual website to download updates, but...

To date the problem has been just annoying. Having to close windows and click on I''m sure I want to leave page'. Even happened when I clicked on a link here at apple support. Anyway, today it got worse. A window opened for a web site-- Ouli-t130ab285.com (or perhaps first digit is 0)-- that keeps me from using Safari. The alert box accompanying the web page does not show a box for OK or leave page. Box is too long to see bottom so can't even resize it. Nor can I do anything else in Safari. Force quit didn't work. Unclicking box for reopening windows didn't work. Nor did doing a safe restart. All Safari windows reopen, but I can't access any. All I can do is read the message that I need to call MS support. Had to open Foxfire to post this. Unable to access

I had previously found and trashed macKeeper and other files related to the adware. When I went thru the go to procedure I found none of the files listed. As I said, to date it was simply annoying, but now I cannot use Safari. I almost downloaded the anti-adware software when I saw your "lecture".

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. BTW, I did just recently upgrade to El Capitan, but

i think this problem predated that.

Dec 2, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Kenneth Bublitz

Kenneth Bublitz wrote:

OK, I'm trying to ascertain if I have the same issue as above. I do believe the adware first showed up after complying with an alert for an update to flash player, just as i had done a hundred times before. Now I know to go to the actual website to download updates, but...

To date the problem has been just annoying. Having to close windows and click on I''m sure I want to leave page'. Even happened when I clicked on a link here at apple support. Anyway, today it got worse. A window opened for a web site-- Ouli-t130ab285.com (or perhaps first digit is 0)-- that keeps me from using Safari. The alert box accompanying the web page does not show a box for OK or leave page. Box is too long to see bottom so can't even resize it. Nor can I do anything else in Safari. Force quit didn't work. Unclicking box for reopening windows didn't work. Nor did doing a safe restart. All Safari windows reopen, but I can't access any. All I can do is read the message that I need to call MS support. Had to open Foxfire to post this. Unable to access

I had previously found and trashed macKeeper and other files related to the adware. When I went thru the go to procedure I found none of the files listed. As I said, to date it was simply annoying, but now I cannot use Safari. I almost downloaded the anti-adware software when I saw your "lecture".

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. BTW, I did just recently upgrade to El Capitan, but

i think this problem predated that.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and run it. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because one person says you shouldn't use it, that means you shouldn't use it. Some people think more highly of their opinion than they ought to. If you think it will help you, then let it help you. It may not find anything, it may find something. I don't know. What I do know is that if it finds something, it'll nuke it for you, easy-peasy.

Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.