Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD to new SSD and HDD - Logic Pro X

Hi. So, I've read a ton of posts and watched a bunch of videos but I don't think I've seen an answer to my question. I hope you all can help me out. I have a Macbook Pro 2011 with a 500gb HDD and I want to move to an SSD for the OS and applications only and store everything else on a 7200 1tb HDD. Both will be internal (optical drive will be removed). I have an external HD I can use as well. Here's where I need help. I know I can do this but what is the best way? I don't mind reinstalling my apps and plug-ins but I don't really understand the steps involved, or maybe I'm over thinking it.

1) Do I clone everything to my external -> install both HDs -> download the OS on the SSD (not sure how to do that) -> re-download all my apps on the SSD -> then clone everything back expect the apps to the new HDD??? Can I pick and choose what to clone back?

2) Install the HDs separately -- Install the new HDD into the optical bay -> move/clone everything to the new HDD -> replace the old HDD with the SDD and install the apps there. Will everything point to the right place? How would I get the OS to my SSD to be my boot drive? Do I just delete the apps from the new HDD?

My goal is to run my OS, Logic, Reason and my other apps on the SDD and write to and store session files (and everything else, photos, docs, music) on the HDD.

I greatly appreciate your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:29 PM

1 reply

Dec 1, 2015 10:34 PM in response to gio7bodi

Hi

A much easier way would be to use an external drive caddy or drive enclosure for the SSD temporarily. Clone the current OS drive to the SSD, test, then install the SSD in the Mac.

gio7bodi wrote:

My goal is to run my OS, Logic, Reason and my other apps on the SDD and write to and store session files (and everything else, photos, docs, music) on the HDD.

You can the either move the photos, music and other files to the new HDD, or (if you really want) relocate the entire Home directory.

CCT

HDD to new SSD and HDD - Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.