Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Misspelling of the birthday attribute's label in contacts app on iOS 9 (German language)

Hey,

i've checked up several iOS 9 devices and all of them are affected by an misspelling in the "Contacts" app if the system language is set to "German".

The label of the attribute for the birthdays uses only small letters (In german "geburtstag"; First character is a small "g").

The correct german spelling has to be "Geburtstag" (The first character need's a capitalization; First character must be a big "G")

Does anybody can confirm this misspelling?

Br,

Michael

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1, Systemlanguage is set to "German"

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:12 PM

9 replies

Dec 1, 2015 3:53 PM in response to caraoge

caraoge wrote:

Hey,

i've checked up several iOS 9 devices and all of them are affected by an misspelling in the "Contacts" app if the system language is set to "German".

The label of the attribute for the birthdays uses only small letters (In german "geburtstag"; First character is a small "g").

The correct german spelling has to be "Geburtstag" (The first character need's a capitalization; First character must be a big "G")

Does anybody can confirm this misspelling?

The field label "birthday" is lower case in English as well. In English, we wouldn't call this a spelling error as all the letters are, in fact, correct. Apple seems to use a mix of labels that have an initial capital and ones that don't. In English, I don't believe there's any particular rule that such labels have to be capitalized or not. So, while I would say that, in English, Apples choice of when to use capitals in the Contacts app is aesthetically unappealing, it's not really wrong.

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that it's never correct to write "geburtstag"?

Dec 1, 2015 3:47 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

After you asked this, I had to check it out. So I got into Bing Translator. I wrote this sentence in English and then got a translation into German.

What day is your birthday? Do you know what the word birthday means? Birthday greetings.

This allowed me a couple of different ways to write the word "birthday", both in upper and lower case. Here is what I got.

Was für ein TagistdeinGeburtstag?WissenSie, wasbedeutetdasWortGeburtstag?Geburtstagsgrüße.

So, if you see, the word is capitalized in all cases.

Misspelling of the birthday attribute's label in contacts app on iOS 9 (German language)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.