Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My airport extreme with 1T backup keeps dropping the internet daily. It shows green light but is not connected to the internet. When I turn it off and then on, its works great.

I purchased the Airport Extreme with 1T of storge backup. Recently it has stopped being connected to the internet almost daily. It still has the green light on, however you cannot access the internet. When I turn the airport off and then on again it seems to work just fine.

null-OTHER

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:27 PM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2015 4:09 PM in response to Azsonora

Do you mean a time capsule?? Is the 1TB drive plugged into USB or internal.. ??

Please read the label on the bottom.. first line of molded rubber at the end says A1254 or A1302 or A1355 (Corresponding to Gen1, 2 or 3)

Tell me exactly which it is.

Recently it has stopped being connected to the internet almost daily.

Any of the above is old.. and it is probably due replacement.

But to help I need to know the full network picture.

What modem do you have? Make and model please.

Is it a gateway (full router) or a modem only?

How is the Airport setup, bridge or router?

Have you factory reset and tried a fresh clean setup?

Are you running later OS like El Capo?

Do all devices drop off the internet including iOS .. or is it just the computer.. in which case it is computer to blame.

Dec 1, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Azsonora

Modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6141

You are the third one today..

This modem and the Airports do not get along.

You really need to decide what to replace.. SB6141 is a good modem but doesn't work with airport. The airport is fine but doesn't work with SB modems.

Pick one .. one has to go.

You can get a Zoom modem that seems to work well..

Or you can get a cheap router like TP-Link WR1043ND and run it as main router and plug the TC into that as wireless router and TM backup.. They are about $50.

Dec 3, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Azsonora

I am curious as to the resolution. I have a similar issue. Cisco router and MEME177ll/A. I am needing to reboot the router multiple times a day to reestablish internet connectivity. All of the wired devices work fine. My green LED is on as well. I've need to reboot this router once every three or four weeks since new, Over time the frequency has increased. Now that it is requiring multiple reboots per day I have decided that something needs to be done.

Any ideas? Dozens of forums have discussions regarding the same issues. Many people blame it on Apple software updates. I thought I would look here at apple.

Thank you, Jim R

Dec 3, 2015 11:28 AM in response to galaapplesauce

I've need to reboot this router once every three or four weeks since new,

That is about right for domestic standard equipment now.. the days of set and forget are long gone.

Any ideas? Dozens of forums have discussions regarding the same issues. Many people blame it on Apple software updates. I thought I would look here at apple.

Apple do not respond to posts here other than giving you a pointer to some documents.. usually long out of date and irrelevant.

They never admit to faults .. so while heaps of people can complain Apple will never acknowledge anything is wrong..

So you are still talking on a forum to other users.

It is difficult to track down faults like dropping wireless.

All of the wired devices work fine.

In that case your issue is purely wireless.

There are a few very long threads on wireless issues.. mostly in the airport section. eg

New Airport Extreme (6th Gen) Dropping Connection from Time to Time.

This one now stretches to 7 pages of it.

There are lots more.

Any ideas?

You need to narrow down the fault.

First thing to tell us .. does the wireless drop on your iOS devices?? In other words is the wireless drop out universal across all types and brands of equipment.. if so the answer is simple.. The Airport is faulty.. return it for replacement by Apple. Hope you get a better one.. it took me 3 goes. And it might still go faulty again. The latest AC airport.. they are not great.

If the iOS products are ok.. and the dropout is just Macs then yes.. the new OS like Yosemite and especially El Capo caused major wireless issues.. a reset of the NVRAM and SMC is worth a go.. otherwise clean install.. or go back to a working OS.

DNS is also a major factor.. and if you have a chance move the router function off the Airport to another router.. and try it bridged with just wireless active.

Some people have success moving the DNS to google.. at least if your issues is internet access.

My airport extreme with 1T backup keeps dropping the internet daily. It shows green light but is not connected to the internet. When I turn it off and then on, its works great.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.