Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Think I called a scam company - am I at risk?

My mom was using her iPad and got a pop-up in Safari about her iPad having a virus or something and to call a number to get it fixed. The site was called ios-safety-alarm.

Once she was on the phone with them they asked for her serial number on her iPad. She gave them that. They said it was probably an issue with her laptop and wanted to remote access that. At that point she got suspicious and got off the phone.

Two questions.

Is there any possibility that her iPad (or home network) is really at risk and that's why she's getting that pop-up?

and

Is she at risk at all of being hacked or having information compromised by giving them her iPad serial number. That was the only info she provided them.

If she is at any sort of risk, what action should she take to protect herself?

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:42 PM

> At that point she got suspicious and got off the phone.

So she did not allow them to access her laptop. That's great.

> Is there any possibility that her iPad (or home network) is really at risk and that's why she's getting that pop-up?

No. She's dodged a scam attempt. Don't even question the legitimacy of the pop-up warning. IT IS A SCAM!!! Period.

> Is she at risk at all of being hacked or having information compromised by giving them her iPad serial number. That was the only info she provided them.

No.

> If she is at any sort of risk, what action should she take to protect herself?

While browsing the internet... if there is a scary warning, NEVER call the number. Contact Apple directly or ask someone who understands technology. Check your mom's iPad Settings - Safari - Clear history and website data. That'll clear up the script from Safari cache.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 4:42 PM in response to GarmanCm

> At that point she got suspicious and got off the phone.

So she did not allow them to access her laptop. That's great.

> Is there any possibility that her iPad (or home network) is really at risk and that's why she's getting that pop-up?

No. She's dodged a scam attempt. Don't even question the legitimacy of the pop-up warning. IT IS A SCAM!!! Period.

> Is she at risk at all of being hacked or having information compromised by giving them her iPad serial number. That was the only info she provided them.

No.

> If she is at any sort of risk, what action should she take to protect herself?

While browsing the internet... if there is a scary warning, NEVER call the number. Contact Apple directly or ask someone who understands technology. Check your mom's iPad Settings - Safari - Clear history and website data. That'll clear up the script from Safari cache.

Mar 22, 2016 8:47 AM in response to Kaili N

Kaili N wrote:

My mom had the samething happen. Expect for she gave the guy her Ipad serial number and had him remote in to the family PC.

How concerned should we be? What are the steps to fix this and prevent any damage?

That depends. Did she give them her personal info such as date of birth or credit card number? I don't know what bad guys can do with an iPad serial number. The PC is a different story. It would be wise to assume the computer is no longer trustworthy. If I were you, I would format that PC and reinstall the operating system.

Think I called a scam company - am I at risk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.