Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "Clear History & Website Data" in Safari will not work on my iPhone 5 running ios 9.1.

The "Clear History & Website Data" in Safari will not work on my iPhone 5 running ios 9.1.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:54 PM

10 replies

Dec 2, 2015 10:46 AM in response to saauld

There is no data loss with resetting your iPhone. Press and hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons, and keep holding them until you see the Apple logo. Restoring is different and does delete data, but if you do a backup first and then reload the backup then everything is recovered (but do make sure that your contacts are being synced with some form of contact manager, usually an email account like iCloud, Gmail, etc.)

But where are you seeing this "history"? If you're referring to the Google search field, Google stores your search history on their servers so the iPhone's "Clear History & Website Data" can't clear that since it is not on your device. You can clear it, but only by tapping in the Google search field and selecting the option to clear it. Also realize that Google will show you predictions on what you're typing in the search field, that's not history that's just their way of guessing what you're looking for.

But if you're seeing browsing history in the "History" folder within Safari, then try resetting your iPhone.

Dec 2, 2015 10:55 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thanks for your help & patience. I have reset the phone multiple times with no luck. The "history" that I am seeing is one of the folders(bookmarks) in the Safari app that comes up when you select "Bookmarks". My Clear History in the Settings App is still grey'd out. I also noticed that my Favorites in Safari in the Settings App is grey'd out.

Dec 2, 2015 1:40 PM in response to saauld

This is not normal then. If resetting doesn't fix it I have to wonder if something is corrupted. You can try the backup/ restore/ re-load backup routine, but it may take a few hours depending on how much data (apps and media) you have installed.

But first, did this ever work? Or did it stop when you installed a new iOS version? Is your iPhone subject to any employer's restrictions or profiles in any way?

Dec 2, 2015 1:49 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thanks again. Not 100% sure if I had used that before but I believe that I did. When I looked at the actual history, it goes from today back to November 3rd. I did upgrade my iOS to 9.1 when it first came out. And, I have had this phone for well beyond Nov 3rd. Do you know when that was ? I looked at my "About" and it doesn't tell me when I upgraded.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.