Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac camera doesn't work, must restart

Got a late 2012 27 inch iMac. Lately the built-in camera will stop working. If I restart, it works fine. And it continues to work fine. I think something happens when it sleeps overnight, or for a long time during the day. I called Apple here in Japan, and they had me do that thing where you hold Command, Option and . . . P and R? There's a name for that, but I forget. I'll call Apple again, but if someone has any clever ideas for me, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 6:59 PM

Reset the SMC and see if that helps, you can also reset the PRAM. Instructions for both are in Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets

7 replies

Dec 9, 2015 5:53 PM in response to EddieT

Well, the resets have not helped. Just updated to 10.11.2. Ran Disk Utility First Aid. Ran Onyx. Called Apple. They had me do some stuff. Now they want me to do a clean reinstall of the OS. I have had this iMac for less than three years. It has already had to be shipped back to Apple for repairs TWICE (thank God I got AppleCare). This is the last straw. I want a new computer.

iMac camera doesn't work, must restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.