Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my 15" mid 2009, 2.8ghz mpb use more than 8gb of ram?

I have 4gb installed. I will use the 8gb soon. But I was wondering if I can boost it to 16gb of ram with an external hard drive? If I partition an extra 8gb to be used as virtual memory it might work....according to ssome blog sites that say even tho it says max is 8gb certain models can still go to 16gb. Is this true? Thanks for your time and consideration. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:08 PM

2 replies

Dec 2, 2015 5:06 AM in response to Artisdope

You are confusing RAM which is where programs run with hard drive space which is where data and programs are stored. The 2009 MBP cannot be upgraded beyond 8GB. For most people that is sufficient at the moment. If 8GB isn’t sufficient for your needs swapping out the original hard drive for an SSD is a very worthwhile upgrade. In fact, in my testing 2 years ago I found that for my use the SSD upgrade was more effective than the RAM upgrade.

One reason people sometimes confuse RAM and storage is because of something called virtual memory. Modern computers are built so that if we try to load too many programs for the amount of memory we have, instead of saying “No, can’t do that” the computer copies a block of RAM that isn’t being used at the moment to the hard drive. It then uses that bit of RAM for the program we want to run. Later if that block needs to be placed back into memory the computer swaps out the RAM for what’s on the hard drive. With a mechanical hard drive during those swaps we’d generally see the beachball or we’d notice the computer slow down for a couple seconds. The SSD is so fast that we notice nothing happening at all which is why an SSD upgrade can be more useful than a RAM upgrade if your computer still has a standard hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.