Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Photos Library, Desktop Files, Downloads without an Usable Operating System

Hey guys, I made the very bad mistake of shutting down my macbook pro late 2011 while it was installing el capitan. So right now, when I try to boot it up, there is not OSX. Will I still be able to access files like my Photos Library, Desktop Files, Downloads Files, and etc.? There are some files on there that I haven't made a backup for. Does anyone have suggestions? I will be forever grateful!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:33 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2015 4:32 PM in response to jx88888

jx88888 wrote:

Would I be able to directly access them from the hard drive? In other words, are my desktop files, Photos Library, etc. stored on only the hard drive or in other parts of the computer too?

All data is stored on the HD.

I am suggesting you install the OS again, basically picking up where you left off. Your user files should all come back with the operating system.

Access Photos Library, Desktop Files, Downloads without an Usable Operating System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.