Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 100% cpu usage just running skype?

Hello,

So I bought a Macbook pro as I liked the touchpad and general feel of the OS, using it to skype my wife, one of the primary reasons I purchased it for as well as word processing and web browsing. However after 10 minutes of video chat, I felt the laptop heating to a point where it was extremely uncomfortable to be resting on my lap. It was not encompassed by a duvet merely resting on my lap.

The model I have is a i5 - 8GB 256 SSD

I checked the activity monitor and the CPU usage whilst using chrome and skype is 100%. How can this be? I thought Mac's were supposed to be efficient and powerful? I could understand if I was using some kind of rendering software that was extremely resource intensive but web browsing and skype???? It got to the point last night where I could not have it resting on my and had to go and sit at my desk with my desktop right beside me, defeats the point of a laptop really.

Is this normal and to be expected of Macbook pro's and if so where can I get a refund lol.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:32 PM

7 replies

Dec 2, 2015 9:58 AM in response to benjibb

You should look at Google results for your titular question - this is not a new issue apparently.

https://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+pro+100%25+cpu+usage+just+running+skype% 3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Personally, since your MBP is brand new, and Skype is a commonly used Mac App, I would take to the Genius Bar -- make a reservation by choosing "Get help now" here > Genius Bar - Apple Store - Apple

Dec 2, 2015 10:11 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

- I use Skype (just calling, no video) quite often for calls to companies I do not wish to share my phone number with. I spent over an hour the other day either talking to someone or on hold - absolutely no discernible difference on my iMac.

I suspect that the absence of video makes the difference. I have seen a number of Activity Monitor images showing Skype using a lot of CPU and temperatures into the 90°c range.

Ciao.

macbook pro 100% cpu usage just running skype?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.