Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I get iphoto to work in el capitan

So changed to El Capitan. now I discover I photo is not working on my imac and is "replaced" by "photos" (a really crummy replacement) I followed some directions for getting I photo to "update" or download and nothing happened. Please, someone tell me there is a way to get it back.

Carol In Shawnee

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), gold color

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:01 PM

11 replies

Dec 1, 2015 10:59 PM in response to carolfromshawnee

You can run the current version of iPhoto (v9.6.1) on El Capitan. However, do tell us what these "some directions" you've followed are, saves us suggesting things you've already tried.

Couple of things: If you do not already own a copy of iPhoto 11 that has been updated via the App Store, then you cannot get the current version.

Also, I'm not sure what you're definition of 'crummy' is, but Photos is a more capable app that iPhoto is a whole lot of ways, including much more powerful editing tools.

Dec 2, 2015 5:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have version 9.4.3 of iPhoto. simple.net said to go to the apple store and find my apps and click on update--I went to the location and it changed to download before I could click it-- nothing happened when I did. back to simple.net and it said make a new user and then do it again--I did and nothing happened.

I can not find my smart albums on photos, or a way to delete a bad photo once it is imported. Any actions that it can do are hidden and not easy to find.

I am confused about your comment that iPhoto 11 is before v9.6.1 I thought the bigger no. indicated a newer version.

So do I have to "buy" another version of iPhoto to be able to use it? I will be happy to if my old stuff will show up on it.

Dec 2, 2015 8:07 AM in response to carolfromshawnee

iPhoto 11 is a marketing name. The actual version of iPhoto is the ninth, hence you have 9.4.3, that is, iPhoto 11. You don't need to purchase, and you can't now anyway.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

I can not find my smart albums on photos, or a way to delete a bad photo once it is imported. Any actions that it can do are hidden and not easy to find.

Enable the Sidebar. Deleting is the same as iPhoto, pretty much, as in basic: select an image, tap delete...

Dec 3, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, your help was almost perfect--I just needed more detail. I called apple help and it turns out my version of iphoto was sick and so he told/showed me how to download the new version and do some fixing and it all worked out. I am very happy that Apple is not going to diddle with iphoto anymore. I like it just like it is. It is a much more attractive layout than photos, it is drag and drop to delete a photo-so simple-unlike the un-intuitive (at least for me) steps in photos. I appreciate your time and directions. Thanks

Dec 4, 2015 4:03 AM in response to carolfromshawnee

I hear you as I was an Aperture user but with Apple discontinuing both Aperture and iPhoto I would suggest you make the switch. The first Photos was very limited, the 1.1 update added a lot of features and so will the next few updates. Same as iMovie, Pages, Keynote and Numbers, when Apple launched them they were missing features and each update sees more features coming back.

Why not start by listing here what you are struggling with as someone might have an answer.

Dec 4, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Gerard Van Schip

Gerard, There are too many things including the look.- no colors, no shapes, I have 1.2. I just opened it to look at the version and my actual running app of photos does NOT look like the "showing you what it can do" on the while you wait time. I never had the "view sidebar" option available.

I am pretty old and will be very happy using my fixed, updated iphoto even if they do improve photos.

thanks

how can I get iphoto to work in el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.