Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure Airport Express with a Windows laptop, ethernet connection and Airport Utility software available on CD?

How to configure Airport Express with a Windows laptop, ethernet connection and Airport Utility software available on CD?

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:38 PM

9 replies

Dec 2, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Ramsan

What version of windows do you have??

It is usually easier to just download it.

The win7 version is the latest and last.

AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows

It does work in all the later OS but can be difficult to install.

Do you have ipad or iphone then download the Airport Utility for iOS.

Now you can simply run the airport utility discover the Express and the setup wizard should pretty well set it up for you.. however if you want details.. we have been provided none.. Please tell us how you want it setup.. otherwise we cannot tell you anything.

Dec 2, 2015 2:05 AM in response to LaPastenague

I have Windows 7. I have the Airport Utility software installed on the laptop from the supplied CD. I have been using the Airport Express for Wifi, receiving internet connection through ethernet cable from an another modem. I have had no problems for several years and now the light is not green any more and it is flicking orange. I tried resetting the device by the reset button but it still showed the same. When I wanted to configure and opened the Airport Utility it said it cannot find any device nearby. Am I missing some connection here. I have connected the ethernet cable from the modem to the Airport Express unit (plugged in). Do I have to connect the ethernet cable to the laptop to locate the Airport Express unit? Though I did the job several years ago, I have now forgotten the procedure. Please be kind enough to guide me to complete the configuration. I created a Wifi network to be used on iPad, iPhone etc. Thank you for your kind response.

Dec 2, 2015 2:13 AM in response to LaPastenague

I have iPad but without wifi now, I cannot connect to internet to download Airport Utility. But as I mentioned in my earlier reply, I have the Airport Utility installed from CD in my laptop (Windows 7). Do I need to download the new version (5.6.1?). I want to convert the internet signal received through the ethernet cable into wifi for use within the house. I have been doing so for several years before some thing went wrong since yesterday. Now that I have reset the device, I think I need to re-configure. Please let me know the step by step procedure for the same. Thank you once again.

Dec 2, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Ramsan

When I wanted to configure and opened the Airport Utility it said it cannot find any device nearby.

In you haven't already be sure to also install Bonjour for Windows as this will help your Windows laptop 'find' the AirPort Express. If you prefer not to add additional software on your laptop, open UDP port 5353 on your laptop's software firewall (if it is running one.)

If that doesn't help, first try the 'Configure Other...' option in the AirPort Utility. Enter the base station's LAN-side IP address (default is: 10.0.0.1) & administrator's password (default is: public).

If that doesn't work, go ahead, and as you have suggested, temporarily connect your laptop to the base station using an Ethernet cable between them. Connect the cable to the LAN (opposing arrows) port on the Express.

Dec 2, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Ramsan

I would suggest, at this point, that you perform a 'factory default' reset on the Express base station. This will get it back to its 'out-of-the-box' configuration which is a wireless Internet router that will broadcast an unsecured Wi-Fi network with a network name of something like: Apple Network NNNNNN.

You can then use the AirPort Utility to configure it for your networking goals. As a minimum, you should configure it for wireless encryption.

Dec 2, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Ramsan

I have been doing so for several years before some thing went wrong since yesterday

Apart from what Tesserax is telling you.. my comment would be.. it is time.. time to live and a time to die!!

The Express has served you for several years.. if I take it at face value.. it has had a good and contented life.. if it suddenly decided to do a dummy spit. .. It might have gone over the cliff and it simply needs replacement.

Let me also suggest nothing wrong with using Apple routers but for this job a cheap second hand Extreme Gen5 is hugely superior wireless AP device... and you could even buy something AC wireless like TP-Link C5 or C7.

Anything you buy today will have AC wireless it is well worth taking the opportunity to upgrade.. clearly without a Mac in the network it is much easier to configure a device that is HTML based GUI setup... as all domestic routers are.. except apple.

Dec 2, 2015 10:00 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your considered response. Meanwhile, I traced the problem to the faulty ethernet cable from the Modem to AP Exp. When I tested the AP Exp with the neighbour's connection from the same modem, the AP Exp worked and the PC got connected to WiFi from AP Exp. So thanks all of you for the kind support. It has been great learning some thing though finally it turned out to be some thing basic.

Dec 2, 2015 10:01 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your considered response. Meanwhile, I traced the problem to the faulty ethernet cable from the Modem to AP Exp. When I tested the AP Exp with the neighbour's connection from the same modem, the AP Exp worked and the PC got connected to WiFi from AP Exp. So thanks all of you for the kind support. It has been great learning some thing though finally it turned out to be some thing basic. I did perform the factory reset function but the device doesn't seem to have lost the previous configuration as it started sending WiFi signals to be picked up by the laptop.

Dec 2, 2015 10:05 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your considered response. Meanwhile, I traced the problem to the faulty ethernet cable from the Modem to AP Exp. When I tested the AP Exp with the neighbour's connection from the same modem, the AP Exp worked and the PC got connected to WiFi from AP Exp. So thanks all of you for the kind support. It has been great learning some thing though finally it turned out to be some thing basic.Yes, I agree with what you say. Next time, when something like this happens, 'out' goes the AP Exp and 'in' comes the LinkSys classic modem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.