Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo library stuck on Updating

I'm creating a new post for this as all others are talking about the beta.

I have just over 67000 photos, when I enabled iCloud it started syncing just fine, then slowed down and then switched to updating. That was 3 days ago and it won't budge from that.

After reading all the other posts I have tried.

- restarting my Mac to get rid of broken processes

- manually quit processes related to the syncing

- rebuild my entire Photos library

- disabled iCloud sync and then re-enabled it

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 8:20 PM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2015 10:55 PM in response to Gerard Van Schip

Check the Console window, if you are seeing messages related to Photos and iCloud Photo Library. Is there any updating activity?

Be careful, when you repair your Photos Library. It will start the upload all over again to compare the repaired library to iCloud.

The Updating phase can take a very long time, if you enabled iCloud Photo Library on a second device. Then the update may take as long as the initial upload.

Are any items in your Photos Library, that cannot be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library? search with a smart album, if you need to remove items from your library. Use the rule "Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library".

Dec 2, 2015 4:20 AM in response to léonie

I left my Mac running and noticed it suddenly started uploading again, did around 500 and then went back to updating. Looking at Activity monitor I see there is no activity from Photos or any background processes related. I also checked the console and only see endless "roam cur check rssi" messages. I googled that which gave me pages talking about wifi?

Everything else works flawless.

Dec 3, 2015 2:38 AM in response to léonie

You nailed it on the head there. As soon as I left my iPad on to update it started moving along. So far 62gb of my 129gb library. I have noticed that stuff I have deleted on my Mac has not been deleted on my iCloud yet but for now I will wait for the sync to complete.

The whole purpose of doing this is the ability to use my iPad for organizing my library and seeing these changes reflected on my iMac.

iCloud Photo library stuck on Updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.