Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive problem with el capitan

I have 2 external hard drives which I back up time machine to regularly. They are both freedom hard drives. One of them works fine, but the other one is causing a problem. When I plug it into the USB port, it shows in the finder for a couple of seconds, and then disappears and I get a message saying the disk was not ejected properly. I also have an old macbook air, and there is no problem with that. I have run first aid, on the external hard drive, and even reformatted the drive (on the macbook Air) but the problem is still the same. The external hard drive works fine on the macbook air, but the problem persists on the new macbook pro.

I have El Capitan on both MacBooks, but 10.11 on the macbook air, and 10.11.1 on the macbook pro, so I am guessing that there is a big in 10.11.1

Can anyone back this theory up by any chance? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 11:46 PM

7 replies

Dec 2, 2015 11:50 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for responding, but I have no idea what you mean. As I use the same USB cable for both computers, presumably it is not that which is at fault, becausee the HD works on one computer but not the other. I don't know what you mean by this though

OGELTHORPE wrote:

I would test the problematic HDD with different USB cables and if necessary, take out the bare drive from the enclosure and install it in a known functional enclosure.

Ciao.

Dec 2, 2015 2:18 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I can't do that because the whole HD has a protective rubber outer, which can't be removed. I just don't think it's anything to do with the HD, but something to do wit the upgrade to 10.11.1. Otherwise why does it behave fine when plugged into a macbook with 0.11, and only misbehave when plugged into 10.11.1? And why did it behave fine before I upgraded the macbook pro to 10.11.1?

external hard drive problem with el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.