Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone else's iMac shows in Find Phone. Is this Dangerous? Can I remove them?

Hi lovely folks,

Out of curiosity I opened Find Phone. Surprise. Besides my iPhone, iPad, and MBA there is "Michelle's iMac."

My name is not Michelle. And I don't own an iMac.

First I giggled, then I wondered if this could be a hacker.

Then I recalled selling an old iMac a few years ago. The location is in the same city as me, but a very different area of town.

Could it be my old iMac still is connected with Find iPhone? I don't recall seeing "Michelle's iMac" ever during the past few years.

Or is this just a spot of strange technical mixups?

I couldn't find any similar situations around the web.

Do you have some thoughts of how this occurred and what to do next?

I'll change my iCloud password, but besides that how do I get rid of "Michelle's iMac" from Find Phone?

I only see options for ""Play Sound", "Lock", and "Erase Mac".

If Michelle is an innocent young lady I'd imagine her alarm when I suddenly take control of her machine in front of her very eyes.

That sounds fun. But no. I'd rather not.

Thanks for your assistance!

<Edited by host>

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 12:14 AM

Hello PadiV,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Sounds like your old iMac popped back up on your Find My iPhone. It should be simple to remove it, see the following article for the steps to do this:

iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone

Best regards.

3 replies

Dec 4, 2015 12:14 AM in response to jeffd55

Hi jeffd55,

Thanks for the link.

I followed the steps for removing while "Michelle's iMac" was offline just now.

Immediately a note popped up explaining the device will appear again if it comes online, so I'll see if this works as a temporary or permanent solution.

Re: the article, Apple's solution in my case (sold the device) was preferably to erase her mac. I hope no one actually follows Apple's advice on that one.

I just found a previous discussion of exactly the same case with a bunch of users.

Remove Mac from find my iPhone/ipad/mac

They appeared to never resolve the issue; simply the temporary removal of offline sold devices until the device appeared online again.

Thanks for the effort!

Jono

Someone else's iMac shows in Find Phone. Is this Dangerous? Can I remove them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.