Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gray screen on mac mini

Hi,

My Mac Mini server is running 10.6. Currently when I start, I get the apple, then I get the circle with the line through it, then I get the flashing folder.

I've tried restarting using the shift key, as well as command-r and neither works. I still just get the gray screen.

now, since it's a mac mini, it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive, so I can't put my server disc in there and start from that.

What are my options at this point?

Thank You,

Dave

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 4:59 AM

command-R does not work on systems without the proper firmware installed, plus no 10.6 system restores with command-R, only 10.7 and later restore with command-R. 10.6 was only available on DVD and you can boot it with the Option key held down. 10.6 Server on the Mini Server is a different operating system, and you should really post such questions in the Server forum below:

Mac OS X Server v10.6 Snow Leopard

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2015 4:59 AM in response to Dave Taylor

command-R does not work on systems without the proper firmware installed, plus no 10.6 system restores with command-R, only 10.7 and later restore with command-R. 10.6 was only available on DVD and you can boot it with the Option key held down. 10.6 Server on the Mini Server is a different operating system, and you should really post such questions in the Server forum below:

Mac OS X Server v10.6 Snow Leopard

Dec 3, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks... I finally figured out a way to hook up my CD, boot from CD and run Disk Utility. Boot disk is damaged and needs to be reformatted. Not quite sure how that could happen, when the server literally sits there doing nothing 97% of the time.

It also tells me to recover as much data as I can, but the drive is grayed out now, and there is no recover data function that I can see from disk utility.

Dave

gray screen on mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.