Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set default user at login screen? When I turn Mac on, it goes to another user with space for their password. I must wait until an arrow appears to login to my user account. How do I change the default to my user account? HELP! Thank you!!

Hello!

How do I set default user at login screen?

When I turn Mac on, it goes to another user with space for their password. I cannot delete this user (IT department where I work) because it must remain as a requirement and they still need access to my computer as an administrator. This is an example of what the screen appears like but this is from Google Images (not my computer or image):

User uploaded file

I have to wait patiently for an arrow to appear. See arrow that points to the left in the image below (Again, not my image but from Google Images):

User uploaded file

When the arrow finally appears, I am able to click the arrow where I am taken to a screen where I am FINALLY able to type in my own username. See image below (from Google Images):

User uploaded file

I would like to either set my own user name as the default username when I go to login (so that I merely have to type in my password), or add myself as a second user to appear at the login screen. See example of second idea below (from Google Images):

User uploaded file

Thank you! I have tried so many different settings on the Users & Groups... I have exhausted all of the usual ways that I utilize for a Mac question as I am an avid apple user.

Thanks again!

iMac

OS X Version 10.8.3

iMac, Other OS, Mac OS X 10.8.3

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 1:12 PM

two questions: 1 which account does it default to? 2 after choosing your name did you lock the lock?

3 replies

Dec 3, 2015 10:33 AM in response to jajefcoat

Open System Preferences and select the Users & Groups tab. Click on Login Options - You’ll probably have to click on the lock and enter your password first. The first option at the top of the Dialog box has a popup menu that lets you select the default log in user. Select yourself and close the Prefs.

How to set default user at login screen? When I turn Mac on, it goes to another user with space for their password. I must wait until an arrow appears to login to my user account. How do I change the default to my user account? HELP! Thank you!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.