Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock my iPhone 5s without iTunes

My Iphone5S is 2 plus years old and need to unlock it. I went through the hoops to unlock it by contacting ATT, obtained a permission code for unlocking it. My iTunes on my MacBook 3.1 running OSX Version 10.6.8, told me that it had backed up my Iphone. Then I got a message on my computer saying that it could not be backed up because I did not have the latest version of ITunes. Unfortunately, ITunes tells me "The Iphone "XXXX" cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes. However, when I go there it says I have the latest version, 11.4. I've already lost virtually all of my data and still apparently have a locked phone per my conversation with ATT today. They told me I needed to attempt to have Apple resolve the issue. As a side note I see that ITunes 12.3.1 is available but when I try to open it after down loading it I'm told OSX 10.8.5 or later is required.

How can I unlock my Iphone 5s without going through the iTunes hoop since that option apparently isn't available?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 8:45 AM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2015 10:15 AM in response to peggyfromcircleville

Unfortunately, a MacBook 3.1 is a very old machine now and you can't update it because being one of the Power PC's, it will not support it. You need a Pentium Mac.

Your only option is to go out a purchase a new MacBook or MacBook Pro that will support the latest software - no other way around this one.

The only other thing that you can do is to purchase a new phone and if you do that you should be able to back up directly to iCloud from the phone and update it too over the air instead of syncing with iTunes. You need to ensure however, that you purchase it unlocked directly from an Apple store.

Two options - buy a new MacBook/Pro or a new phone. Out of the two, the cheapest would be the new phone, but then if you want up to date software, then you will need the new computer.

How to unlock my iPhone 5s without iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.