Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network issues on and caused by Apple TV 4

Apologies for this long post....

I purchased a new Apple TV 4 this week as an upgrade to ATV3. The main reason for this is to get proper access to my Apple Music Subscription on my lounge AV setup - it would have been nice to get just a small upgrade on the ATV3 to work nicely with Apple Music!

Anyway, the addition of this small, innocuous device seems to have caused all sorts of issues on my home network.

I connected up the ATV4 using ethernet to my Virgin Super Hub, performed the straight forward setup via iPad and proceeded to explore - all seemed fine. Even downloaded the speedtest out of interest and that reported a healthy 90+Mb. Did the usual check for updates and this installed 9.0.1.

First of all we noticed the following main issues with the ATV itself:

1. During operation it would report 'no network connection'
  2. Looking at the Network Settings it shows Ethernet connected but had lost it's previously DHCP'd address and DNS details
  3. It did not rectify itself
  4. Just physically removing the cable and replugging would cause it to regain an address - interestingly a different one each time. Other devices on the network tend to get the same address (as this is generally the behaviour I would expect), but it may then lose it again later
  5. Also, when connected the speed sometimes dropped causing stuttering/buffering of even Apple Music / local libraries
  6. If the ATV4 is woken from "sleep" it also invariably has no address
  7. I removed the Ethernet and tried the same with WiFi connection - it exhibits similar loss of address - so I conclude its not related to the transport

I performed the usual restart/re-power of router, switches and access points - I have an Apple Time Machine (in switch mode + providing a second WiFi AP at the other side of the house), plus an 8 port gigabit switch along with the Virgin cable router. By no means a complicated network and up to this point I have had NO issues with the internal network - prior to the ATV4 addition we had numerous wired (Macs, PS4, PS3, Smart TVs, home automation) and wireless (ATV3, Blu-ray, another PS3, MacBook, iPads, iPhones, etc.) clients ALL behaving nicely. But still the problem persisted. I had to leave the investigation there, but left the ATV switched on and connected via ethernet.

Now, here's the next interesting issue. My son reported he couldn't connect to the network on WiFI with his iPhone 6. The phone would see the advertisements from both WiFi networks but on selecting either just would not get an address ever (even with restarts, restores, etc.), to the point where he was thinking the phone had a hardware issue (also suggested by Apple Support). Other devices seemed (at this time) to be connecting OK, plus restarts of network gear again didn't resolve that issue. Then my wife's (previously OK) iPad exhibited the same symptoms. A bit of a google and look on this support site unearthed various complaints about ATV4 networking, slow speeds, etc. - including that an addition ATV4 can cause knock on issues to other devices trying to use the same network. So I switched off the ATV4 and 'hey presto' the phone that wouldn't connect worked straight away, the iPad & all other devices connect and can access the local network + internet in the speedy fashion that they did previously.

Now obviously, this is likely not such a big problem for everyone (otherwise this forum would be full of only these complaints), but I can only conclude that the Apple TV 4 (9.0.1) is at fault. If I keep everything the same and pop my old ATV3 in it's place I get NO such problems.

This is all very annoying as I have also bought a second ATV4 as a Xmas present for one of my sons. Is this really £300+ down the drain?

Do other people in this community see all or some of these issues? Permanently or intermittent? Has anyone received any answers of support that may help me? I shall of course be following up with Apple myself.

Apple TV, tvOS 9.0.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 12:44 AM

21 replies

Dec 4, 2015 4:10 AM in response to David Hayward

Now obviously, this is likely not such a big problem for everyone (otherwise this forum would be full of only these complaints), but I can only conclude that the Apple TV 4 (9.0.1) is at fault. If I keep everything the same and pop my old ATV3 in it's place I get NO such problems.

That's correct, it's not a problem for the vast majority of users, indeed I'd go so far as to say I've only seen one or two posts with 'Similar' issues. May I suggest you try it in another location (perhaps a friends or preferably at an Apple store), I'm inclined to think you'll find it works flawlessly, if not take it back for a replacement.

Dec 4, 2015 9:30 AM in response to David Hayward

And when you go to the doctors, do you not expect to find his surgery full of people that are ill. Of course there will be people here reporting problems with the Apple TV, that's what these communities are for. However, there are no more people reporting network problems now than there has been since the Apple TV community started nearly 8 years ago and as usual very few are actually the same. Take it and test it somewhere else.

Dec 4, 2015 11:43 AM in response to David Hayward

I am too seeing oddities with networking on the Apple TV 4 - nothing major for me, but oddities that did not exist with my Apple TV 3.

Now I know it will sound cliche and snobby, but I work with IT day in and day out and have full knowledge of how networks work. There are some issues with it (I am seeing Bonjour issues myself).

But you are going to find that most of the comments in this forum come from what I call 'deflectors'. Most posts will simple make you feel that there isn't a problem with your Apple device and that you have must have done something wrong. Sometimes I wonder if these posts come from Apple employees posed as users, or just simple fanboys that think 'Apple does nothing wrong ever'.

And I agree with you, a simple small update to the Apple TV 3 would have been nice so we could at least have gotten Apple Music on it.

Dec 4, 2015 12:04 PM in response to streamworksaudio

Yep, I get what you say. No point responding to unhelpful comments 🙂

If I get time this weekend I may get a hub out and see what I can see with wireshark.

Incidently, When I originally added PS3 via WiFi to the network it didn't work well at all connecting to the Virgin Super Hub but fine when I used Airport / Time Machine. So for now I'm experimenting with that for ATV4 without changing anything else.

Dec 5, 2015 4:22 AM in response to David Hayward

Yep, I get what you say. No point responding to unhelpful comments

I guess that means you have no intention of testing things properly as suggested. Furthermore you seem to be sorting answers according to whether you like them rather than whether they are helpful, until you are prepared to look at your own set up as the cause of your problems, I don't think you'll get very far, but good luck.

Dec 5, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have every intention of testing further and have been, thanks. As for doing that 'properly'? I'll know when/if I discover an acceptable solution. Not quite sure what you mean by 'sorting answers'. I intend to take up your helpful suggestion of trying it elsewhere when I can.

Now I have found more time away from work, I have been adjusting the way things are connected/configured. I focused on the Virgin Super Hub, which I had issues with PS3 before. With the ATV4 connected wired or wirelessly to the VSH I see all the issues mentioned before, dropping connections, strange DHCP behaviour (getting different addresses each time, not getting addresses, and other devices not getting addresses too).

Connecting ATV4 wirelessly to Airport/Time Machine, as I mentioned I was trying previously, seems to really help. It was still getting it's address from VSH but didn't exhibit the same problems. I've not seen a dropped network connection yet. No one in the house has reported issue with other wireless devices either. I have had the odd instance of noticable slowness - brief buffering of Netflix and one instance streaming from Apple Music - but it is much better. I also turned off IPv6 (well as much as you can) on the Time Machine - it was not possible to adjust IPv6 settings on the VSH.

If I set the VSH in modem only mode and configure the Time Machine as the router (with setup I have, I needed to more a switch around too so various wired devices can still connect), this is giving good results too. Will try this with the ATV4 connected wired and wireless to see which is best. May need to buy another switch, but if all works well I'll be happy with that.

Dec 5, 2015 10:35 AM in response to David Hayward

Experincing problems with the Apple TV myself.

WIll be watching an app eg nbc sports, YouTube, Netflix and occasionally it will stop, you will then go to load any of those apps and the circle in middle of screen will keep turning and turning And the content won't load.

im on super fast bt internet, I opened the previous Apple TV this problem never happened, connected by Ethernet and wifi and the same problem happens.

its intermittent but it's really annoying, it's basically just losing the Internet connection.

any one else had the same problem?

Dec 5, 2015 11:50 AM in response to David Hayward

Comcast internet/modem into Airport extreme router into a Netgear 24 port switch that serves entire house. Locally, at my ATV4, I have a Netgear 10 port switch that serves a MacMini, functioning as a media center and handling TimeMachine back-ups to a Drobo for household and kids away at college (CrashPlan). This switch also serves PlayStation. The MacMini and PlayStation connected to this switch do not experience network issues nor do any other devices throughout house.

Network issues on and caused by Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.