Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID verification pop up after iOS 9 update

i updated my ipad2 to ios9 this week.

i am now getting a continuous pop up message asking me to verify my iCloud Apple ID.

Sometime ago I changed my Apple ID to xxx@gmail.com. That's what I use to access the App Store and what appears in settings as my Apple ID.

But, the iCloud id "Apple id" still seems to be set as my old email address xxx@btinternet.com.

i have tried entering various old passwords for this iCloud Apple ID but cannot remove the pop up message. It did go away for 24 hours but has started appearing again.

Searching apple support I found a screen which said I could reset the password for my Apple ID. I entered the iCloud one but it returned a could not find message.

I have changed by xxx@gmail.com password several times recently and it seems to be ok. Although today I saw a verification failed type error message.

I'm totally confused by:

1. The 2 Apple ID s that I seem t have

2. The annoying icloud Apple ID password verification pop up which I cannot seem to get rid of as I cannot enter a valid password.

can anyone help me please?

thank you

btw I am not impressed with ios9 which I find slow and causes lags on my ipad2 but I will leave that for another day.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1, GarageBand

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 5:53 AM

12 replies

Dec 16, 2015 3:49 AM in response to JackT44

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot sign out of the old iCloud account xxx@btinternet.com.

When I try to sign out in settings, it asks me to sign out of "find my iPad".

All attempts to enter a password fail.

It then takes me to a screen to change my xxx@btinternet.com password.

When I try to do that it says this is not your Apple ID.

After several further attempts to sign out using my old iCloud ID and my current xxx@gmail.com Apple ID password it says my account is locked.

When I try to reset my password for the nth time it only allows me to reset my Apple ID - the xxx@gmail.com address.

I am totally confused by all this. Strangley the pop up reminders had stopped until today when another appeared.

Currently my account is locked again.

Surely there is someone at Apple who can sort this out? Starting with someone who can tell me why I appear to have 2 Apple ID, one of appears to do nothing other than cause me angst and distress.

Dec 24, 2015 5:41 AM in response to Nigelar1

People from Apple rarely monitor this boards, but if you do want talk to Apple you can call them or use "contact us" link on the bottom of that page. However what they are going to tell you is - You need to sign out of that btinternet account and that they do not know the password you need to use, but you should.

So do your best to figure out what your password is or reset it or explain to us why can you not reset it. "Not your apple id" message for example means that you purchased that phone of somebody who didn't disable icloud activation for you and you will never fix it if that is correct.

Dec 25, 2015 4:34 PM in response to fromsouth

Hi Nigelar1,

I'm having the exact same issues, but only with my ipad minis. I have iphone, Air2, and 2 minis. Changing the Main apple id doesn't help.

When I did that I was able to update my iphone, and Ipad2, not but my minis. I keep getting icloud verification failed. So I then reverted to my original ID but was forced to pick a new password. Again I was able to update my Iphone and Ipad2, but my mini keeps getting the icloud verification failed. It appears that there is something with the mini is that was affected with the latest updated.

I tried also to reset the network. that didn't do anything. Like you, I cannot do a full reset successfully because I cannot remove the "Find my Ipad" function, I didn't realized until now, that they separate the iTunes username and password, and the iCloud username and password.

As I'm using the original ID, with new password. My minis accept the them for ITunes, but not for the icloud verification.

I'm going to see if I can open a case with apple. If I find the answer. I will post it.

Dec 26, 2015 1:57 PM in response to fromsouth

Thanks for your reply.

I've had the iPad since new.

In my post of 16 Dec I explain what happens when I try and reset my xxx@btinternet.com iCloud id Password

It says this is not your ID and does not allow me to. Yet it clearly is (was) my id. It takes me down a route to reset it then tells me I can't.

However I can reset my xxx@gmail.com Apple ID password as many times as i like.

Thanks for your suggestion about trying apple support.

Dec 26, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Nigelar1

Nigelar1 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I've had the iPad since new.

In my post of 16 Dec I explain what happens when I try and reset my xxx@btinternet.com iCloud id Password

It says this is not your ID and does not allow me to. Yet it clearly is (was) my id. It takes me down a route to reset it then tells me I can't.

However I can reset my xxx@gmail.com Apple ID password as many times as i like.

Thanks for your suggestion about trying apple support.

Your story with one or two id's is not making sense. So somebody who knows how to check information that you seem to be confident in needs to sit with you and eliminate true from the rest. Cause it is either one or two id's. And just in case if it will not be easy -find your original receipt and keep it on hands during the call.

Feb 9, 2016 9:07 AM in response to Nigelar1

I eventually phoned Apple Support to get this fixed. I want to say how pleasant the people were. It took some time to identify and fix the problem and the intervention of senior technical support to help me fix it.

The root cause of the problem was that when I changed my email address/Apple ID last year, I had not signed out of things like iCloud and find my iPad. This meant the old email address/Apple ID became "orphaned" but still extant. Working with technical support, I changed my "new" Apple ID back to the old me. I was then able to sign out of iCloud etc with that. Once done, I changed the old Apple ID back to the new one and everything is fine. I was lucky that my old email account was still active (in reality it should have been closed down by my old isp). Had that not been the case, recovery would have been a lot more difficult as I needed some security codes, sent to the old email address.

i would say that it would be useful if the software alerted you to the need to sign out of all accounts when changing your Apple ID or at the very least, syncing the change in the background. Still everything works well now and I would like to thank Niall Walker, the iOS senior technical advisor for his help.

Apple ID verification pop up after iOS 9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.