Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp windows 7 el capitan

Hi there,

I was trying to install windows 7 on my 15" late 2011 MBpro. I am using a usb stick with an .ISO file. Everything is going well until te mac restarts to boot from USB, but there can't be a bootable usb found. I tried EVERYTHING but nothing is working. Tried different USB's and nothing works. I spend more than 2 days on this but noting works. Anyone who can help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 3:10 PM

24 replies

Dec 4, 2015 3:58 PM in response to AwesomeTech-LTTECH

AwesomeTech-LTTECH wrote:

You can use a USB stick (provided that it has enough space), but you MUST use Apple's BOOTCAMP assistant.

Not all Macs support USB booting. Read the Bootcamp info.plist, if you are interested. Modifying this file leads to black screens and error messages as OP has seen.

<key>PreUSBBootSupportedModels</key>

<array>

<string>MacBook7,1</string>

<string>MacBookAir3,2</string>

<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>

<string>MacPro5,1</string>

<string>Macmini4,1</string>

<string>iMac12,2</string>

</array>

<key>Win7OnlyModels</key>

<array>

<string>MacBook7,1</string>

<string>MacBookAir3,2</string>

<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>

<string>MacPro2,1</string>

<string>Macmini4,1</string>

<string>iMac10,1</string>

</array>

Dec 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to Wvdvoort

But, i managed to install windows from a usb on my iMac, but the exact same thing don't works at my mbpro.

What year/model is your iMac? If it does not have a built-in Optical drive or a 2012 or later model, it will support USB installation. Please also see previous post.

If BCA provides the option to create a USB Installer, then you can use it. If you modify Info.plist, it will not work on 2011 models.

Bootcamp windows 7 el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.