Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting secondary monitor to MacBook Air?

I'm not very tech savvy so I have no idea if this is possible, but I just want to connect another monitor to my MacBook Air (early 2014) and be able to have example, an internet page open on it.

So if anyone could tell me what I need to be able to do this and how, that would be lovely!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 6:32 PM

1 reply

Dec 6, 2015 6:24 AM in response to monicajaye36

Hi monicajaye36,

I see you are a new user here in Apple Support Communities - welcome! I hope we find you contributing often in the future.

You don't mention whether you have the 11 inch or 13 inch model of MacBook Air, but both support using an external display through the Thunderbolt port. See these specifications pages -

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

Specifically -

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

So if your display uses Mini DisplayPort for input, connect it directly to the Thunderbolt port. With DVI, VGA, Dual-link DVI, or HDMI displays you would need an adapter. You can find them here in the Apple Store online - mini displayport - Apple

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

Connecting secondary monitor to MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.