Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't control ARD 3.8.5 clients using ARD 3.8 on 10.11

Recently upgraded my station and a few clients to 10.11.1 from 10.9.5

I use ARD 3.8 for various daily tasks. Push files, control the client stations for support etc.

The stations I haven't upgraded yet – running 10.9 & ARD client 3.8.4 I can control just fine,

but the stations upgraded to 10.11.1 & ARD client 3.8.5 I get the following message...

"Connection failed to “**********" Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences)
is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect. Also make sure your network connection is working properly."

On the client machines I've toggled Remote Desktop on and off, for specific users and all users, turned screen sharing on etc, restarted.
Also tried over ethernet & wifi. Always the same message.
It looks like ARD 3.8 app on my station didn't get any sort of update after the 10.11.1 upgrade – it's still Version 3.8 (380A95) and Mac App Store says it's up to date.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not going to upgrade anymore stations to El Capitan until I Know I can control them with ARD.

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 5:29 PM

7 replies

Dec 7, 2015 2:08 PM in response to JonOfCalgary

Got it to work for all of my 10.11 Clients.

This is what I did;

– Turned off Remote management in Sharing in System Preferences

– Turned on Screen Sharing & enabled "Allow access for • All Users"

– Quit system preferences

– Reopened System Preferences & Sharing - turned off Screen Sharing

– Turned on Remote Management & enabled "Allow access for • All Users"

– In computer settings check "Anyone my request permission to control screen"

– Quit system preferences

Can't control ARD 3.8.5 clients using ARD 3.8 on 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.