Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Library folders in "iCloud Drive"

Just started to use iCloud Drive and noticed it automatically creates some folders for different types of files. For instance, there's a folder for Pages documents, another for Preview, another for TextEdit, etc. Which means that if I store a Pages document in a folder I create, iCloud Drive creates an alias for that document and stores it in the Pages folder.

I have absolutely no use for these folders, and they clutter up my view of what's in iCloud Drive. So I tried moving them all into a bin folder to get them out of sight, but it won't let me. I can't hide them. S here anything I can do to get rid of these unneeded, but automatically created, folders?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 5:15 PM

10 replies

Dec 5, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Roger Barre

I'm using a similar approach to Winston Churchill.

Only, I do not use aliases.

I simply created a dedicated folder "My iCloud Drive" on iCloud Drive and save all document in subfolders of this folder. Then I dragged this folder to the sidebar, and when I want to use iCloud Drive I start from this subfolder. So I can simply ignore the application folders. Starting from my subfolder bypasses them.

User uploaded file

The sidebar will not show the custom icon I assigned to my Custom iCloud drive. But you can add the folder to the Finder toolbar, to see a custom icon.

Feb 12, 2016 10:03 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

I simply created a dedicated folder "My iCloud Drive" on iCloud Drive and save all document in subfolders of this folder. Then I dragged this folder to the sidebar, and when I want to use iCloud Drive I start from this subfolder. So I can simply ignore the application folders. Starting from my subfolder bypasses them.

User uploaded file

The sidebar will not show the custom icon I assigned to my Custom iCloud drive. But you can add the folder to the Finder toolbar, to see a custom icon.

What is the purpose of creating an additional folder called "My I Cloud Drive"? What's wrong with the root level folder created by the OS call iCloud Drive?

Feb 12, 2016 10:20 PM in response to rickatk

What is the purpose of creating an additional folder called "My I Cloud Drive"? What's wrong with the root level folder created by the OS call iCloud Drive?

There is nothing wrong with iCloud Drive, only that it is already filled with App folders for syncing with mobile devices that I do not need when I am syncing documents between my macs. The app folders do only take documents created by one app, and the subfolders of these folders cannot be nested deeper.

On my Macs I do not want my documents filed by the application that created them. I want folders for the projects I am working on, with subfolders for certain tasks. and I need to be able to put documents of any type into the subfolders for each project, not only document types that can be syncedto my iPhone and iPad.

Feb 12, 2016 11:11 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

User uploaded file

Initially I didn't quite understand your purpose for creating an additional folder called "My I Cloud Drive"? I see the reason now... A bit of a work around so you don't have to be bothered with the app folders. All very understandable.

When I first started seeing the iCloud app folders harbouring all the aliases for the original files stored outside the iCloud Drive apps, I found it confusing and annoying. After a bit of research I have learned that the aliases are created so you can open a document from within the capable app without having to hunt for the original document, which may be filed by project, year or some other method.

A few years ago when Steve Jobs etal announced that they were changing the file system and going to an app centric file system like what was being used in iTunes. The plan was to only allow the files to be stored in the apps when using Documents in the Cloud and iOS. Now with a more open approach, as seen in iCloud Drive, users can create folder structures to place their docs, almost any way they want, as they had done in the past. Or users can use the app folders method. After considerable hunting around, including a few trips to the Apple store in search of the answer to the Alias question, I have just accepted that there are now numerous ways to open or save a document; either from within the app or the app folder or the resident folder that I created.

Now that iCloud Drive is fully functional I moved all my folders from Dropbox, placed the folders into iCloud Drive and carried on. I don't worry too much about the app folders now that I understand what is going on. I rarely go into to them anyway. If my apps get to cluttered with those pesky aliases I just delete them, of course making sure they are the ones that say " in iCloud Drive."

Thanks for you answer, very helpful.

Feb 13, 2016 12:15 AM in response to rickatk

All documents I need oon all my Macs are on iCloud Drive too, but in the folder structure, that is best for my workflow. and the "MyiCloudDrive" folder in the sidebarhelps to access them quickly.

It just saves one click, to have the root of my own folder hierarchie "My iCloud Drive" in the sidebar for the File > Open and File > Save dialogs and to bypass the long list of app folders.

Feb 13, 2016 8:20 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

All documents I need oon all my Macs are on iCloud Drive too, but in the folder structure, that is best for my workflow. and the "MyiCloudDrive" folder in the sidebarhelps to access them quickly.

It just saves one click, to have the root of my own folder hierarchie "My iCloud Drive" in the sidebar for the File > Open and File > Save dialogs and to bypass the long list of app folders.

How did you get around the problem of the second alias of " _MyCloudDrive Drive" being created as reported by another user?

Could you also remove the OS iCloud Drive icon from the sidebar without compromising the iCloud Drive feature?

Feb 13, 2016 8:30 AM in response to rickatk

How did you get around the problem of the second alias of " _MyCloudDrive Drive" being created as reported by another user?

I did not see such a second alias. In El Captan I could simply drag the "MyiCloudDrive " folder into the Favorites section of the Sidebar.

If you want to remove the main iCloud Drive icon from the Sidebar disable it in the Finder Preferences. iCloud Drive will still work.

User uploaded file

App Library folders in "iCloud Drive"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.